Non-parochial BMD site questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-parochial BMD site questions

Credits here seem pretty dear so I would be very grateful for advice before I waste money.
    Is it worth spending a credit on an advanced search?
    What kind of detail can I expect from a baptism entry in the eighteenth century (second half)?
    Is it better to go for the full details or go straight to the image?
    TIA for your valuable comments
    Janexxx
    PS I am going away for half an hour, I have been ordered to make some scones so will be unable to respond straight away
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

If the "baptism entry" is a Dr Williams Library one (in which case it isn't exactly a baptism but never mind!) then you might get a lot of info such as date and place of birth, parents' names, maternal grandparents' names, occupation and residence, father's occupation, and even witnesses' names. But of course there might not be as much info as that.

Advanced search - I haven't paid for one of those yet. I would strongly advise that you try searching on the IGI at FamilySearch first to see if that narrows your search down. It could well be that the same entry is on there but not fully transcribed.

And don't forget that on the non-parochial BMD site you can search for the other names in the entry (e.g. parents' names, grandparents' names if present) by putting their name in and ticking the "search all names" box on the free search.

As for whether to look at the full details or the image, I would say go straight to the image having done it the other way round and bitterly regretting it!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks for your advice, Kiterunner. I would send you a scone, but mine never turn out that well
      How do I know if it's a Williams Library entry? Or don't I, till I've parted with my money? :o

Comment

If you can find a corresponding entry on the IGI then it should tell you on there if it is a Dr Williams Library one. The one that I found which was for one of my relatives was a Dr Williams Library one, and it is on the IGI but because he and his parents all had pretty common names and the registration was from when he was 21, not when he was born, and place was just given as "London", I didn't realise it was him until I looked at the non-parochial BMD entry. Even the index entry on there had a much more specific place of birth than the IGI did.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks very much. I am off to check the IGI - and the blinky scones

Comment

Working...
          X