Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morovian Settlement Query Please

Hi Folks,

I have found some of my family lurking around in Derbyshire, living in what is described on the 1881 census as a 'Morovian settlement'. I haven't got a clue as to what this means - is it some sort of sect perhaps?

Hope somebody out there can please enlighten me! Many thanks.

Chris

HI

This link gives a bit of background to the Morovian Settlement.

Ockbrook - 3. The Moravian Settlement
    WendyP

Comment

Oh, Wendy - that is a fantastic site (not to mention all the other links, of course!)

I have only gone back with my 'Hitchcock' reprobates as far as circa 1795, but they all originally came from Ockbrook, and were there for many, many moons. The site even includes a photograph of Green Lane, which is where my bunch resided!

I have popped the site onto my favourites, so that I can read it in more detail later. You have made my day - many thanks indeed!

Chris

Comment

HI Chris

Happy to have made you a happier person today

:D:D
        WendyP

Comment

What a great site.

OH's great aunt (add a few greats) left quite a bit of money to the Moravian church in her will. She also left money to various other churches including Catholic and Jews????

Comment

Harry's mum, What a generous lady she must have been.
            WendyP

Comment

Originally posted by WendyP View Post
              HI Chris

Happy to have made you a happier person today

:D:D
              Wendy, you certainly have! Still a bit puzzled as to these Moravian (sounds vaguely East European to me) settlements. Were they a certain sect/branch of religion perhaps?

Chris

Comment

If you look up the Moravian settlement at Fulneck Pudsey ( west yorkshire) you should learn a bit more about them, my ancestors lived just near that one.

Comment

About the Moravian Church:

Moravian Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                    Thank you very much for that, Mary - fascinating stuff! Most interesting to note that there is still a congregation at Ockbrook to this day. I feel a bit daft myself in not thinking of the wikipedia first off.........

My thanks again,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrissiebee View Post
                      Wendy, you certainly have! Still a bit puzzled as to these Moravian (sounds vaguely East European to me) settlements. Were they a certain sect/branch of religion perhaps?

Chris
                      Have only just read this thread but , although I know absolutely nothing about the Moravian Church, can tell you you are partly right insofar as the name is concerned. Moravia is now part of the Czech Republic. It was a province, along with Bohemia, of the old Austrian Empire and both formed Czechoslovakia after the First World War.

Comment

BC - Ah, that would go part way to explaining a lot of things. Many thanks for that info.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X