Query about Canadian adoption and death informants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query about Canadian adoption and death informants

I am not sure if this should be in the Adoption section on this site.

I have a death record for a child who died aged 1 and a half in Toronto Childrens Hospital of pneumonia and emphysema in 1914. The informant is given as a clerk at a city hall. Which seems a bit official for a natural causes death. While other death records I have seen for Canadians give parents etc as informants.

The hospital say I am not a close enough next of kin to be allowed information from her records which is very frustrating as the possible info in the records could knock down a huge brickwall for me.

Does anyone have any ideas why a clerk at city hall would be an informant. Would this occur if a child was abandoned or up for adoption?

Also does anyone know when official adoption started in Canada?

The parents were named on the record and we know they had previously left a child to be raised by relatives.

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

I would be interested in this as I have just sent for the records of Sisters sent there in 1900 , I have a horrible feeling they wont class me close enough to receive them.
    Good luck

Comment

I have no idea about Canadian records, but could "clerk at a City Hall" cover a welfare worker? Perhaps the child was in the care of the City.

OC

Comment

I don't know the answer to your question but you could try e-mailing the research contact at the Toronto Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society:
        Contacts, Ontario Genealogical Society, Toronto Branch

They may be able to answer your query.
        Jenny

Comment

Email now sent, would be so much easier if I lived in Canada to do research into this particular family.

Thanks

George
          Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

I have now emailed the Organisation that run about 10 cemeteries in Toronto City area to see if tracing her burial place will reveal any useful leads.

They responded saying its been forwarded to the relevant department but I may have to wait upto a year before I receive anything.

So I am back to square one now.

George

Comment

I don't know about Ontario death certificates, but British Columbia ones tell you the burial place and date of burial. Could you ask if someone at the Ontario Genealogy site could look up the death certificate for you? Here the BC records are available in the main library on microfilm.
              Jenny
              Jenny

Comment

I have her death record and for some reason it does not state burial details though her probable grandfathers record who died in 1928 does state his burial place and undertakers that were used. I guess the amount of detail must have increased in between 1914 and 1928.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                  Email now sent, would be so much easier if I lived in Canada to do research into this particular family.

Thanks

George

george i have a new found cousin in canada,ontario.do you want me to askfor you,pm me the details if you do,brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                  X