One name study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One name study

Seeing as my recent contact with lots of info, proof of a link for one of my lines to Lancashire and the Wirral has turned turtle (or gone very quiet) i was thinking of working my current stuff into a one name study.

As i now have ancestry again (and hardly get benefit of the expense!!) i can gather all the bmd refs to add to my current collection. So far i have around 350 bmd refs from 1837 to 1915, 150+ census images and around 100 PR's and burial records.

Would it be easier to start with the latest entries and work backwards or start at 1915 and work forwards?

It will never be good enough for GOONS as i'm not interested in the non UK connections (nothing pre 1915 indicates any overseas connections as yet).

Should i trawl backwards or forwards (does it matter??).
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I think I'd be inclined to trawl forwards. If you did want death-dates for individuals who married out of the name, you'd miss them going backwards.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

good point. Never thought of that.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

I find it easiest to start at 1841 and work forwards, as it never makes proper sense going backwards! (Or maybe 1851, nip back to 1841, then onto 1861, lol)

I know this is completely the wrong way to do things, but....

OC

Comment

I never seem to have the proper organisation to do this kind of thing but recently started to tidy up the info i already have, putting all the bmd refs into ftm and recording the census images held, sorting them into folders for the relevant person/family etc. The same with certs, PR's (sources of info as well as the details), burial locations and any photographs/images etc.

I am close to having all the sources and details held listed with the relevant individuals and seeing as i am already around halfway through civil registration it seems daft not to continue.

This line is probably the easiest (rarer surname) so it will make an ideal project, at least there is no time limit for completion.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

When I did mine I worked forwards.

I started with the BMD and went through and noted every entry chronologically in groups in order of life event

i.e. I ended up with a list of all births, a list of all marriages and then a list of all deaths.

I did it all by written hand but it could be done a lot better in a spreadsheet.

For births I allowed for:

Year, Name, Reference, District, Father, Mother

Marriages:

Year, Name, Ref, District, spouse/possible spouses, cross reference to birth year

Deaths:

Year, Name, Ref, District, Age/DOB, cross reference to birth OR maiden name if a married in.

Now I'd like to be able to add into my books the specific address and other stuff which I don't have space for.

I tried to start matching up family groups with the census before i had completed the BMD but it was more difficult without complete lists.

The I started matching up the obvious ones on the census to start filling in the parents gaps on the Births entries and then work out females that disappear to marry etc

This can help quite a lot with babies that died between census as it can untangle who was living in which area and eliminate those who had/were due a baby within 9 months of the mystery birth or daughters who may have had a baby before they married.

I constantly refer back to my books as it's a LOT easier to navigate then any tree program I've used purely because of it's simplicity.

If you can't understand what I mean PM me and I can send you scans of the pages if you'd like to see.

Zoe
            Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I do it in a very similar way to Zoe, but I make out individual sheets for each person as I go along (takes ages!).

Some of the information sorts itself out very easily - not likely to be more than one couple called Ninevah and Hepzibah. The rest hang around for more in depth head scratching.

But I work from 3 master lists, like Zoe does and try to work out deaths before I do anything else.

OC

Comment

Agree with the above, in that I have spreadsheets for bmd which are my bibles.
                For known family members I have unique references with a mixture of letters and numbers so I can sort into families: A -Z for the originating familes, then children 1-9, a-k! wifes w-z, and unknown children m-v.
                Even with a fairly small group, I still get hopelessly lost with a few of them, and that new trick (to find middle names) has left me with many more questions than answers!
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
                X