No announcement yet.

Date and age please etc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you for trying to help OC. I agree, it's number 2 that I'm not sure of. The only photos I have of her sisters are older ones unfortunately. I don't think they will help much but here goes.

The first one is the only sister with dark hair:-

This one is the bride but she had lost one eye by then so looks rather different:-

This one doesn't seem to look like any of the others to me, maybe it's the glasses:-

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

By having two copies of this thread open at once, I can compare the pix. I think it's certainly possible that the one in the dark jacket/blouse (the first of the two you posted 20-02-08, 10:38) could be the sister in the photo with three chaps ("chaps" fits the era better, don't you know!) and a lad.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Chrissie xxxx

I would say the first photo in your post 16 is definitely your mum ! Is there anyway you can shrink them a bit then put them alongside each other?

Joanie

Comment

Look at the hairline & eyebrows!!

Joanie

Comment

Thank you Christine. The lady with the chaps and boy is my aunt with her husband and three sons

Hi Joanie xx
            I can shrink but I don't know how to put side by side.
            Yes, I think that's my mum too. I think I have posted too many and confused you.
            It was really these two (below) that I wanted to establish who they were and someone said that they looked like the same person.

Comment

That's the trouble with photos of family...

Some years ago, I showed my sons some photos of my mother and father at courting age and asked them who they thought was in the photos. In both cases they identified the pictures of my father (whom they'd scarcely known - not at all in the case of our younger son) as being my elder brother, and of my mother as being my elder sister. I couldn't blame them - they'd given the answers I expected.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

I have a studio portrait of my great great Aunt, Pamela Holden, taken when she was 21, in 1888 (I think, from memory). It hangs on my living room wall.

I watch visitors faces with great amusement as they try to work out why my youngest daughter has posed for a sepia photo! They are doubles of each other.

A non-direct descendant of Pamela sent me some photos of unidentified people in the hope that I could identify them. One, a woman crossing a cobbled street and smiling gormlessly at the camera, looked a bit familiar but I couldn't place her.

My brother took one look and said "What the **** are you doing in that daft hat in the middle of the street, my sister?"

OC

Comment

I know exactly what you mean Christine and OC. That first one is bugging me because in some ways she looks so like my mum but not quite, if you know what I mean. It doesn't look like any of her sisters either. I haven't a clue who the child looks like though. I hoped that dating them might help but it doesn't.

Comment

Morning Chrissie!

I think I can date the pic of the little girl, I have a photo of my Mum in almost the exact same dress, in 1928, when she was 8 years old! Even the chair looks the same as the one in my pic, lol!
                    She wasn't wearing the knickerbockers but I would say the little girl is around 3 or 4 years old, so she would have been born around 1921-24 if that helps!!

xxxxxx

Joanie

Comment

Morning Joanie

Yes thank you. I shall have to look and see what possible cousins etc were born around that time. Too late for any of mums siblings. Mum was the youngest daughter and born in 1915.

I can't stop looking at the first photo, the older girl. She looks so familiar.

xxxx

Comment

It does look like the same person to me!

Or maybe they were sisters? Most definitely related if not!
                        Last edited by Joan of Archives; 24-02-08, 13:33.

Joanie

Comment

Working...
                        X