Non Conformist advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Conformist advice please

I have hit my first batch of non-conformists & feel a bit bewildered by them, lol!

I have the PR's on fiche at the LDS but of course my NC mob are missing from those, but even the burials? Was there such a thing as NC burials? Were their baptisms & burials logged separately in the NC registers or whatever they were called?

Help, Merry or someone equally intelligent

Joanie

Originally posted by Joan of Archives View Post
    Help, Merry or someone equally intelligent

I'm sure when I first looked, you had typed "Help, Merry or someone intelligent "

pmsl!!!

Comment

What date (ish) and place are you on about???

Comment

Hi Merry

I have to go out now but will be back later, but it is Sussex, Heathfield, around 1700 - 1850 if that helps!

Does this mean they weren't buried in the Parish Church?

Joanie

Comment

Have you tried that non parochial bmd site? I found some of mine there being buried in the Independent Chapel.

Comment

They may not have been buried in the parish churchyard, or that might have been, but if the C of E burial service wasn't said at the burial, then sometimes they were not entered in the burial register! (probably depends on the vicar)

See this:

Shows there were two non-con burial sites in your actual parish from the mid-1820's. There might be other ones for an earlier date in nearby places....you will need to have a search!

Comment

I hesitate to claim to be as intelligent as Merry, but is this link any help? It's not confined to the Baptist Church

Welcome Baptist Church

Comment

One of the biggest problems about nonconformists lies in the name! If they weren't part of the established church, then they didn't have a bishop breathing down their necks. There was no standard method of maintaining parish registers pre 1812 for bp and burs, there was certainly no standard method amongst non conformists. If you were anxious to have a birth recorded, then you paid a shilling to have it entered in Dr Williams Library. Books were often the property of individual ministers, who took them with them from chaoel to chapel. They got lost over the years.
                A chapel might have an attached burial ground. If it only lasted for fifty years, then records may have disappeared long before it closed.
                One ray of hope in this gloom, is to look for manorial records. These can show fathers dying and children taking over when there is no other info. I have a few nc families, and I do sympathise!
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

What are Manorial Records and where are they found

Comment

Manorial records are records of a manor - an area sometimes the size of a parish, but it can be bigger or smaller. There are all sorts of different records. Rentals may list your ancsetor as paying rent, but admissions and surrender can show when land changed hands.
                    They were private records, so could be anywhere. The National Archives website does show where those for Norfolk, Hampshire and a few other counties are covered. This link should prove helpful: The National Archives | Search the archives | Manorial Documents Register | Welcome

Be warned, though: they are often big, dirty and VERY time consuming!
                    Phoenix - with charred feathers
                    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Thank you for that info.

Comment

Because Lancashire has always been a bastion of nonconformity, there is usually little problem in tracking down the noncon records - indeed most of them are transcribed to the IGI (if they have survived) and the LDS has hundreds more noncon registers which haven't been transcribed.

As Phoenix says, noncon often had their own burial grounds which have not survived. But if the records have survived then there will be details of deaths and burials in the registers.

OC

Comment

Wow thanks to all you intelligent people (and Merry lol) I am off to check out those sites now, will let you know if I find something.

:D

Joanie

Comment

My g g grandfather was burried in the non conformist part of the cemetary in the early 1890s.
                            Like you I couldn't find him in the parish records, however my local record office has the cemetary records and this is where I found him. If you are lucky in finding them, they often give more information than the PR.
                            If you cant visit, maybe you could give the relevant office a call.
                            Kathleen

Comment

Working...
                            X