• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else doing one name studies?

If so, do you have any tips ?

Thanks!

Joanie

Ummmm, unless you have to don't start!!!!!!!!!!!

No seriously... the one thing I have discovered is find a way to store the info logically for you from the start, unlike me where I have had to start again due to the muddle I got into, the particular one's to watch for are that unattached person or a death that you cannot tie to a birth.

Good luck.

Comment

I've vaguely thought about trying them for one or two of the rare names in my tree, but decided my own were enough trouble without trying to research everyone else's too.
      Michael, aged 1/4 of a century

Comment

I didnt deliberately start one, it just happened.

I decided to transfer it all onto a database on the computer which I made up myself (oh, clever girl, OC).

This worked wonderfully well till I got a virus on my computer and lost it all - didn't bother backing it up.

Basically, I recorded absolutely every "fact" I came across, by name, then date, putting "alive in" as a date if it was something like Joe Soap witnessing a will.

I shall recreate it one day. Meanwhile I have a card index (the original one) and a pile of paper.

OC

Comment

I'm considering doing a sort of ONS - but restricted to ties to Hampshire (and nearby counties) and probably within a time-frame (to start with, at least) - PAFOOT (and variants).

The name sometimes appears as a second name, too. I've found a Thomas Pafoot WALDRON. As WALDRON is another name which appears as a second name in the same family - I'd like to find him a bit more than just 1861, 1871 and dying in 1873 - especially as the censuses indicate he was b about 1822-3... in Portsea, Hampshire.

I'll have another go, later, I think.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My Allender one just happened as well.

I collected all Allender events on the IGI and put them in Excel and then extracted all Allenders from every census in family groups and put them in Excell as well.

Using those databases I've reconstructed many families in family tree maker.

Currently I'm extracting all Allenders from the GRO index and fitting them into the families on FTM.

Any extra stuff I pick up along the way also goes into FTM.
            Gwynne

Comment

My tip is to keep any contacts somewhere safe.

I've been doing the Linksons for about 6 years and get new contacts who I think "Ooooh - they're on Dave's line. I'll put them in touch" then I can't find Dave's email or address and the two may never find each other until I find the right scrap of paper
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                My tip is to keep any contacts somewhere safe.

I've been doing the Linksons for about 6 years and get new contacts who I think "Ooooh - they're on Dave's line. I'll put them in touch" then I can't find Dave's email or address and the two may never find each other until I find the right scrap of paper
                I use Yahoo for most of my genealogy emails. In my Contacts list, I include the critical name as part of the nickname - I'm up past Christmas12 and Chapman12, I reckon by now! That way, I do know who to send round robins of new info to. I also try to remember to add in their names of interest to their Notes - because those come up in a search as well.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

OH and I are 'research managers' for a One Name Society. We took over last year from someone who had done it brilliantly for 10 years. There is a LOT of stuff!

One of the best things we have is a searchable, sortable (MS Excel) database of all the GRO index entries for our name from 1837 to 1990. It has been done over the years by members.

Another thing is a large Gedcom file with all the trees on. There are about 100 separate families at the moment. We also have a 'parish record' database. Obviously not complete but it gives us somewhere to enter all those that come from members.

We have a growing collection of certificates the details of which enhance the GRO index database with extra information. Wills and probate records are another one.

We are about to embark on making a database for all those other 'miscellaneous' facts described by OC. They are not really much good to us in files - they need to be sortable!

Have a look at the Guild of One Name Studies (GOONS). If you decide to follow their 'rules' you must undertake to fulfil certain obligations about contact and sharing. But of course you can just keep it as your own private study.

Good luck
                  Anne

Comment

I prefer to use a database although this is exactly the same as a spreadsheet really, just more easily viewable as a card index, in my opinion.

It is amazing how often I can connect two pieces of random information, and it is this which has enabled me to go right back to 1187.

Recording census information alone is a massive undertaking but I am tackling it gradually. I am also transferring info from Lancsbmd, such as marriages (which give both spouses) and births where mmn is given.

It is a lifetimes undertaking I think, but the satisfaction I get when I suddenly see a connection is fantastic and often sends me off on a more focused hunt.

Don't forget all the other sources - A2A set me off on this and google is fantastic too. I had started long before this, pre internet days, but the advent of the internet speeded up the project no end.

OC

Comment

I try to seek out anything I can find about the Alchin/Allchin/Alchorne Family as I am already connected to several thousands of them.

Apart from that I have a tendency on the lines I find a lot of to keep my own BMD Databases on MS Excel.

Oh, and I know someone who has managed to link every Pout he has found throughout the World into one great Tree.
                      Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I also use Excel to keep a record of registrations and census entries for the English Philbricks / Philbrooks I come across - most of them seem to be related to my line in some way or other.

I don't have a spreadsheet of contacts though and need to do that.
                        Jenny

Comment

Try to decide in advance what you mean by a One Name Study.

If Smith, would you include Smyth and Smythe?
                          Do you note down EVERY SINGLE reference you find?
                          Do you limit yourself by period or county?

I don't belong to the GOONs because I am only interested in Skillings related to the family living in Edgefield, Norfolk in the 1720s. You would think this was probably a fairly small grouping, especially since every other family in the county seems to have produced only daughters and rapidly died out. There are over 700 births up to the 1990s, and this excludes Canada, where they bred like rabbits.

You need to be much more organised than I am, and keep a list of sources consulted (and if it's freereg or freebmd, then note what it contains at the time.) Zoe's advice about contacts is so true. Especially when an IT expert has trashed your address book!)

At the end of the day, you're doing it because you want to, and to enjoy it, but a little forethought can save an awful lot of hair-tearing later. Most of my info is still in some twenty or so identical notebooks. It takes a heck of a long time to recover that vital bit of info I need!
                          Phoenix - with charred feathers
                          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I was thinking about it, as I was led to believe that my mother's maiden name was from Barnsley and never left.
                            I have since discovered a load in Lancashire and in Bradford that don't link in to my family lol

I decided against a one name study after finding over 10,000 names in 1901 lol

Oh yeah, I thought of doing a different one too. It was my Grandmother's maiden name. This was until I found out it wasn't her father's real name
                            Last edited by Orangeblossom; 12-02-08, 14:25.
                            Tracy

Comment

In 2005 I contacted people on GR who had the name Brewerton in their tree.Some sent me Gedcom, others trees on paper and some opened their trees. I kept this in a folder and in a indexed folder made a note of their names. I also cross indexed where they were from.
                              In Jan. this year I put all the info onto A One Named Study : Brewerton - Family Tree for Brewerton, Broughton, Bruerton, Brereton, Brewerton/Bruerton and 296 other surnames.
                              I then re trawled GR and did a mail drop.
                              I have had loads of excellent response and have managed to get 3 large trees going, some smaller ones and a few clusters.
                              I made it a given that if people wanted to share in the study then their info is put on the site.
                              I couldn't cope with people giving names but not wanting them shared.
                              I have not put living names on, unless they wanted them on, but have kept a note of them.
                              Have also done several excel stuff.
                              I hope to get a database where I can cross reference.
                              On thing that was hard was only having the spouses name of the female Brewertons. That felt like a betrayal!! I am sticking to the name Brewerton and recording where it changed but I am not going to study those changes eg Bruton/ Broughton etc.
                              The tribal pages site has loads of limitations but is also great as a base for the info.
                              A good place to look for your names is rootsweb.
                              I must say it has taken up most of Jan/Feb to put it on TP but we are off for 8 weeks on Sunday which will be a good change from pouring over the comp.
                              When we get back, I hope to join Goons but that has to be worldwide.
                              Have fun
                              Jeanie
                              Last edited by Jeanie with one n.; 12-02-08, 15:10.
                              If it's to be, it's up to me.
                              Searching for:
                              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Not a thorough one-name study, but I do have a PAF of any Smoothys I find from Essex/Suffolk area. I am hoping one day I will be able to tie them into my definite ancestors - gt gt gt grandfather John Smoothy born 1776 in Coggeshall. I don't bother with Smoothys from elsewhere and I'm not very exact, I've just got all the relevant baptisms & marriages from IGI and added census data.

No one has ever contacted me about the Smoothy branch of my family, though I've had better luck with other rare name, Chowns. (my gt gt grandparents were another John Smoothy and Ann Chowns, married 1858).

My other family names are all very common - Gray, Matthews, Williams etc.
                                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

perhaps I'm being unfair and he really IS too busy to reply (his email address is a Parish Records office)
                                  Maybe they changed parish administrators, and he doesn't know you ever sent him a message?
                                  Or the parish might have had problems with their ISP and changed, so that the address is valid (so doesn't bounce) but is unused.

Do you have any other contact-route for him (GR? Ancestry? Rootsweb...). If you have an alternative contact-route, it might be worth another try to explain that you've been trying to contact him via the Parish Office e-address.

Or can you phone the Parish Office?

Christine

Comment

Wow!

Thanks for all your replies guys!

I am not sure I could use excell, being a computer dumbo but maybe I could try!
                                    Luckily I have found a brilliant site for my Sulston branch which has done a ONS it even has photos & stuff, so I have printed it all off.

I am very fortunate as most of my names are not that common (as in the Sulston one) and as yet I haven't even found one Smith, lol!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Joan

Believe me, if I can do an excel spreadsheet/database, then your budgie can do it!

Also - Tribal Pages is a good idea, I have a village study on a free site on there and it is very flexible and copes with all the peculiar things I want and need to put on there. I have umpteen mini trees which are gradually joining together into larger trees.

OC

Comment

Lozaras

If your contact was through GOONS then you can contact the Guild Administrators and they will investigate your complaint.

From their website...

"If you have difficulty contacting a Guild member, or receive no response to your reply-paid enquiry after a reasonable time, please contact the Guild Registrar who will attempt to take the matter up on your behalf. Please supply the dates on which you sent letters or e-mails and your own postal address for a response. Our enquiries may take some time so please be patient with us. All Guild officers are volunteers; we all do this for pleasure - our own and that of other family history folk such as you!"
                                        Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Working...
                                        X