X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopted?

Thought this might be of interest

Adoption Records
    One of the chief concerns is what happens if you can’t find an entry in the BMD indexes.
    In early records before 1860 the GRO index does have a high number of omissions as civil registration took a while to get established.

However later records do bring up the concerns of those that feel they may have been adopted and until now it would have required a trip to the FRC to consult the public index to adopted children.

This gives the name of the child, Birth Year, Date of Entry, No of Entry, Vol No

Birth Year is not present for all the records

Only the adopted child can apply for further information and therefore have the potential to find out more about their former families.

If you wish to consult the register it can be freely searched online by visiting Free All-inclusive Subscription

To learn more about adoptions visit Adoptions - Introduction

Have you booked your holidays yet ?
    Why not come to Norfolk we have some great churches for you to photograph

Shake my family tree and watch the nuts fall.

Looking for Druce-Berkshire. Auvache , James, Hughes - London. Turp - Essex. Dipple, - Herefordshire.

Regional Co ordinator Eastern Region

Thanks for that.

I feel the need to point out that the site where you can search the index is The Genealogist, the free search referred to is a free trial of the site - and if you have previously had a free trial of that site then you will not qualify for the free trial. Credits for the adoption index cost £19.95 for 200 or there are all-inclusive subscriptions for the site. When I looked a week or two ago, it didn't look as if you could buy less than £19.95 worth of credits for the adoption index. Not having had the chance to search the index, I don't know whether 200 credits is a realistic number to need. A word of warning - The Genealogist website takes a pretty dim view of subscribers doing lookups for other people.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I am on half term next week - i havent yet ever had a free sub to that site, and thought i'd take it up when i have plenty of time to grovel about in it - so see just what it does offer.
      Jess

Comment

Working...
      X