Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on a photo please

This MAY be OH's G GM.

What do think the date might be? Age of the woman?

And do you think that door looks like a back door rather than a front door? I know that sounds an odd question, but if it is the front I MAY be able to identify the house as it is today.

oh, and does that look like a pump handle on the right hand edge of the pic?

thanks all.

EDIT: perhaps I should add the picture? *tuts*

Last edited by Rosie Knees; 05-02-08, 16:02. Reason: author is an idiot
    Rose

Hi Rosi,
    I think its the back of the house with a communial water pump. Just in veiw is what looks like a flower tub i think and the flagged floor looks more like a back yard than a front courtyard.

i have no idea about the age or date of the photo sorry... bit useless at that.. i could hazzard a guess but i know loads on here who are quite good at this, so shall not embarrass myself.

Comment

Sorry no Tom. It was sent to me by email.
      Rose

Comment

interesting points Bob.

If it is the house I hope it to be it is a typical Victorian terrace of 2 up 2 down. The date stone on the terrace is, if I remember rightly, 1889. Were Suffolk latches regional (as in, exclusive to Suffolk) or is it just a general design term?

Anyone an idea on the dress? Would it be a bit short for late 1880s?

PS, thanks Jennifer too
        Rose

Comment

Other than I think it's a communal court with the houses round, remember them from Seacroft village nr Leeds when I was a gel! And the water pump would have been shared I haven't much to say, the picture is a bit small to be exact about grannies outfit, but I wouldn't disagree with the 1890s......;)

Comment

Looks more like a scythe than a pump handle, to me! Odd place to have a pump handle, right next to a door.

Definitely the back of the house. We had suffolk latches on our back door in Manchester, no lock.

The lady is in work clothes, so could be any time from about 1880 to the 1920s, sorry.

OC

Comment

Suffolk latch is the name for that type of door latch. Not exclusive to Suffolk.

I remember that from my days working for Wilko's many moons ago.

I aslo think its the back of the house about 1880-1900?

Comment

Now I look closer, there does appear to be a handle or something, below the latch, and possibly a letterbox near the bottom, almost hidden by the lady's skirt?

OC

Comment

Any help ? possibly not much to get out of it

The roof has tiles rather than slates .... a quick observation ...
                  haven't read the thread

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

The brickwork seems to be full brick and not the full brick half brick pattern, would that be normall for the year? or would it indicate a single brick wall?
                    Last edited by James; 06-02-08, 09:16.

Comment

A further thought .... she has a net curtain at the window, so I wonder if there was a possibility of the rear (if that's what it is) of the cottages being overlooked.

It reminds me of the cottage in Kent where grandad's brother lived.
                      There were 4 or 5 cottages with allotments at the front, so you entered from the back which was paved or cobbled and across from the back doors were the outside loos ! Very quaint

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 06-02-08, 16:22. Reason: typing !
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

thanks for the observations. I had a look today at the front of the terrace that I hoped it was and it certainly ain't that as there is no dentilation (I think that's the term, should know working for an architect lol) under the eaves. Hadn't noticed the 'letterbox' in the pic. Did they have them in the late 1800s or did the post person knock?

Thinking about the net curtains ... wouldn't you be more likely to have them at the front of the house (the potential dwelling fronts onto a main road).

General consensus (sp) is for late 1880s so I don't think it is G GM as she had a child in 1889 and this woman looks too old.

Think I will have to file it as an unidentified person lol.
                        Rose

Comment

i would say front door,as some houses were back to back,lady in her 50,s brenda xxx

Comment

The paving looks to me like a courtyard rather than a street, with a shared pump for water. Doesn't really answer your question though, as the house could either back or front onto a courtyard!

Roger

Comment

Am I the only person who thinks that thing is a scythe, by the door????

(Which would make it the back door)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                                The brickwork seems to be full brick and not the full brick half brick pattern, would that be normall for the year? or would it indicate a single brick wall?
                                It is relatively unusual for a house wall to be built in stretcher bond (only the sides of all bricks showing) before the advent of cavity walls. The two most usual bonds seen on older properties are English bond (one horizontal row of stretchers followed by one horizontal row of headers (the ends of the bricks showing) or Flemish bond.......every row made up of one header followed by one stretcher etc.

A double thickness wall might be built in stretcher bond but wall ties would have to be used to tie the two thicknesses together, which seems rather an effort and would make a wall less strong than the bonds already described.

Cavity walls were introduced during the late Victorian period, but were not universal until well into the 20thC.

I would have thought this cottage was probably fairly new in the photo and may well have been built with a cavity wall.....otherwise it would be far more likely to have been built in one of the more traditional bonds.

That tested my memory!!

Comment

It also has horizontally sliding sash windows - unusual and I THINK mainly used in the south of England??

The more I look at this, the more it reminds me of a farm cottage in Somerset where my daughter lived for a few years. That was certainly single brick built, with full bricks facing. A line of end bricks was used at ceiling height to support the floorboards and joists of the upper storey.

Her cottage was built about turn of the century for estate workers and I suspect, just bunged up without much thought for how long they would last. However, despite the shortcomings of the building techniques, they are sturdy and still standing. (And still freezing cold and damp, due to the single skin of bricks, lol)

OC

Comment

I have had a good peer at the photo that Rachel did the close up on and that think is certainly scythe-like, blade a the bottom perhaps with some sort of horizontal 'thing' holding it to the wall?

I think the observation of vertical sliding sash windows confirms it's not the house I had hoped; that Victorian row is all horizontal sliding sash, even the UPVC ones!

Will check out the brickwork on way home.

Thanks for your time kind people.
                                    Rose

Comment

Hi Rose ... are you able to take a pic of the houses ?
                                      It might be helpful to be able to compare them ...

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                        Am I the only person who thinks that thing is a scythe, by the door????

(Which would make it the back door)

OC
                                        definetly a pump got the wooden bowl underneath brenda xxx

Comment

Working...
                                        X