No announcement yet.

opinions on a photo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll try and get a pic tomorrow to see if it is stretcher bond or flemish or what...
    Rose

Comment

No, the thing by the back door is a scythe and then there is something else, which may be the pump handle.

If you count the flagstones from the bottom of the scythe to the wooden bucket, you will see that thet thing by the back door cannot be the pump handle.

I think it is the way the photo has been taken - the something just visible over the wooden bowl looks as if it is part of the scythe, but it isn't.

OC

Comment

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Yep, two different objects. Scythe standing against the wall, pump handle coming down right in line with it but nearer to the front of the picture and over the bucket.

OC

Comment

A slight disagreement here ...
            Scythe (or whatever it is) against the wall ..... yes

That other vertical black line on the right is not actually part of the photograph.

I'll see if I can find another way of getting it clearer ..... OH is at home today and he might have some ideas

The scythes I've googled all have very long blades and a handle or two along the shaft

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

this is the front of the house I hoped it was. It is the house with the solid white door apart from the slot at the top, to the right of the white car. I think it is defo not the one as there are long and short bricks, slates not pantiles, vertical ss windows, window and door headers are different, not dentilation under the eaves.

thanks for taking so much interest in my anonymous photo! Wonder if it is a sycle rather than a scythe?
              Rose

Comment

Rosie all the things you mentioned could well have been changed, but! I think the house you thought was grannies is not old enough, I suspect it's about 1900ish, grannies is a wee bit older. Knock on the door dear....:D

Comment

Hi Barbara, the terrace I took the picture of today was built in 1882. My pic is defo GGM's house, the old pic in post number 1 is the unknown person/house.

You are right though, I really ought to knock on the door! I think if it was one of MINE I would but it is OH's ancestors so I'm not quite so dedicated lol.
                  Rose

Comment

If you are sure then go on! you know you want to...:D
                    Also if you get near you should be able to see allterations, like new windows,( look at the surrounds to see if the window shapes have been altered) if the roof is welsh slate it's old, but pantiles have usually been replaced by new roofs, which might look like welsh slate but won't be, welsh slate being about 5 times dearer per slate...

Comment

ps...... it usually needs replacing after about a hundred years.....

Comment

The top of the window and the top of the door in your original photo and the bricks are in alignment and have that arched arrangement of bricks over them (a sort of fan shape) sorry don't know what it's called

In the new pic (post 28) all the windows in the terrace are taller than the doors and there is no arch above any window or door

Comment

Rachel

There IS a slight arch shape above the windows if you look carefully. The window nearest the right hand side of the photo has been bricked up and there is a concreted arch above it.

However, if this is the same side of the houses in both pictures, then I agree, the windows are higher than the doors in the new picture.

Yes, sickle rather than scythe perhaps, that would account for the extr handle near the blade.

oc

Comment

The original picture shows a pantile (or similar - definitely tiled) roof with a dentil course below the soffit. The recent photo shows slate roofs and no dentil course (at least I don't think I can see any!). Some of the slate roofs seem to have had a "finish" put on them (on the left of the photo), but others seem to be in original condition. I would say the slate roofs are the original roofing material for these cottages and they are therefore not the buildings you are looking for. :o

Comment

yes Merry I would agree (you are right about the dentil course on my picture - there isn't one).

Well spotted whoever said about the windows being at different heights.

I will still go and knock on that door one of these days when I am at a loose end lol. They may not realise that their house used to be called 20 Woodbine Terrace and is now one hundred and something London Road. That took some finding, I can tell you!
                              Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie Knees View Post
                                They may not realise that their house used to be called 20 Woodbine Terrace and is now one hundred and something London Road.
                                That seems to be taking no smoking a bit far LOL :D

Comment

haha Roger! Wouldn't it have been a prettier name if it had been Honeysuckle Terrace originally!
                                  Rose

Comment

Working...
                                  X