Scottish OPR's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish OPR's

When searching Scottish OPR's it's helpful to know what records there are and which no longer exist.

General Register Office for Scotland - Help Researching Scottish Ancestors - List of Old Parochial Registers

Even if they do hold the records for the period you need - you might find pages have been damaged or are illegible (I know to my cost - have found siblings but on pages I need there were just an odd word here and there!!!).

It's also very rare to find deaths (unfortunately!!)

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

I've found the reference "Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland" compiled by V. Ben Bloxham and published by Brigham Young University Press to be most helpful in determing the likely condition of the original OPR's as it contains some commentary on each Parish and where significant gaps or damage occur.

Best wishes
    Jean

Comment

I was interested to find that records for Airdrie Free Church exist in the OPRs (651/6) but unfortunately my lot aren't to be found on SP so they must have been baptised elsewhere. Someone (can't now remember who) has already followed another possible lead at the NAS for me but they weren't to be found there either.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Although the OPR may be down as still existing, I came across beautifully written records but next page/few pages were virtually blank with just a odd word here and thereand then about 10 pages on back to beautifully written records. - What had caused the damage I don't know - but do know the people I was looking for must have been there - siblings were on other pages

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
        X