Mayo now added

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayo now added

Mayo Family History Centres - Online Searching of Irish ancestral and genealogy records (Births, Deaths, Marriages) for Co. Mayo

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

JBee

You beat me to it!

Hope someone finds Mayo ancestors on here but do remember that you will have to pay 10 Euros to discover if the choice you made was correct!

Janet
    Last edited by Janet; 01-02-08, 09:44.

Comment

Pfffffffffffffffffffffft

I thought they'd promised Kilkenny and Carlow next

*sticks out bottom lip*

This is like waiting for chrsitmas to come round again
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

I've just had a quick look at this & found some records that COULD be "mine"

- but I'm afraid I'm not paying 10 euros just to find out. With a possible 4 records to check, just for one marriage, this could get VERY expensive.

Anyone know a cheaper way?

BTW, anyone know how common is Bernard as a first name around 1850-1870? I am fairly sure the family were Catholic Not sure whether to be relieved that he wasn't called John LOL
        Vicky

Comment

I'm sorry to lower the tone ;) - but I can't resist, seeing the Thread-Header...

Where's the salad? :D

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have added it to the Wiki.
            - prefer french dressing myself :p
            Jess

Comment

Christine

With the salad cream !!!! lol

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I looked at this this morning & think I found the missing 2 members of the Mulroy family, but again, it is too expensive to check.
                Vicky, there is a Bernard in this family as well.
                Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 01-02-08, 15:45.
                Lynn

Comment

Eeeek! Just cost me 40 euros - 3 that were'nt even remotely likely, did it wrong first time round and wasted my money.:(

Have found what I think is a confirmation of one of my ancestors, but does anybody know this: I have a baptism of Patrick Gallagher in 1856 to parents John Gallagher and mother Bridget. Bridgets surname is given as Gallagher, is this likely to be her maiden name do you think?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Best wishes

Carol

Comment

Sorry haven't a clue - have had no dealings with irish records so far.

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                      Sorry haven't a clue - have had no dealings with irish records so far.
                      Thank you anyway.

Best wishes

Carol

Comment

I've researched baptisms in Drogheda, and they did give the mother's maiden name, but I don't know if Mayo would be the same.

Comment

Cazzie

Where a different name given for mother that will be her maiden name probably but also bear in mind she may have married before so could also be her previous married name. I have one like this whose maiden name was O'Neill and I have found her in places as just Driscoll which was the name of her first husband.

vikki,

Any chance of a trip to Dublin Library where you would be able to check out most Irish records for free which does include mother's name and if married previously as well as witnesses at marriage and sponsors for baptisms? Mind you the cost of getting to Ireland + staying at a B&B will have to be weighed up against the cost of the websites! Other than that a trip to the actual place to check out the church, but it all depends whether you live in UK or Australia! If you live somewhere like Australia then paying a researcher MAY be a cheaper answer. I have the same problem with a marriage and 2 baptisms in North Tipperary but will wait for Kilkennny records before I decide what to do. At present I have a choice of 10 possible John O'Neill in N Tipperary and at 10 Euos a throw I am in near revolt over these websites that give you no hint. I suspect they might have to come down in price if nobody uses them!

Janet
                          Last edited by Janet; 02-02-08, 10:28.

Comment

How much is 10 euros in £?
                            Lynn

Comment

Depends on exchange rate

but today 1 euro = roughly 78 - 79p

Comment

So 1 record is about £8 then, still a bit pricey
                                Lynn

Comment

I use this site at work for forex rates:
                                  Currency Products and Services

It has a whole selection of currencies, types of rate (bank/tourist), plus history of rates.

Christine
                                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Lynne

Very Pricey!!

Vikki,

To answer the last part of your query about how common a name is Bernard. I have to say that in several years of Irish tracing I have not come upon many, so if you find a Bernard in the place you expect to find him then I would take a chance that it could well be yours!

Unlike my John, Michael, Margaret, Patrick, Brigid etc. And William in Ireland is not as common either, because of the William of Orange connotations and the fierce Catholic traditions going back many centuries! A William may well be a pointer towards being Protestant, but not always I hasten to add!

Janet

Comment

My problem is that I found most of the Mulroys on familysearch, parents James Mulroy & Bridget Brown/e. the only 2 I couldn't find were John & Edward, the 2 that I know most about, hubby's great grandfather & his brother who were over in Lancs from 1881 onwards. I checked all the children that I had found on Familysearch & they all appear in Newport, but there is no sign of an Edward or John. I found an Edward & a john in Bohola, which I hope is them, but it is only a guess & it is a lot of money to waste on a guess.
                                      Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                      X