WW1 Places and Battles..... Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Places and Battles..... Help please

Need some help in identifying places and battle names of WW1 as not sure if these names are correct..... Epsey & Dardenall

I've just been informed from my new found relative that a couple of my Gran's siblings died.......

one, Thomas Brady was gassed at...... Epsey?
    He died in a sanatorium in Dublin in 1918 or 1919.

two, Edward aka Ned Brady died in 1915 in a WW1 battle ..Dardenall?
    teresa

I think it should be Dardanelles
    PAT

Comment

There was a battle of Epehy in 1918
      PAT

Comment

Thanks Pat,

I will see what I can find out about them.
        teresa

Comment

Teresa,

if you search on this site you might find more info about them

:: CWGC ::

its the War Graves site, & it gives details of the soldiers killed in battle.
          ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Hi,

My grandfather died in Gallipoli, Turkey, the Dardanelles was the stretch of water between Turkey and another country. My grandfather is commemorated on the Helles Memorial in Turkey, his body was never found.

Barbara

Comment

Originally posted by kathsgirl.48 View Post
              Need some help in identifying places and battle names of WW1 as not sure if these names are correct..... Epsey & Dardenall
              Could that be Ypres - I believe its pronounced Eepps (but I could be wrong)
              Vikki -
              Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

Originally posted by vikki brace View Post
                Could that be Ypres - I believe its pronounced Eepps (but I could be wrong)
                Translated as "Wipers" :D
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Google Ypres and you will find out loads.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks for all your replies.

I've checked out the CWCG site and there are several Edward, and E. Brady's and T and Thomas Brady's of unknown age.....that could be them.

None of the ones that give names of parents etc., seem to match though.

I might see if I can get the death certificate of Thomas Brady that died in a sanatorium in Dublin 1918/19.

Having no idea of his birth year..it might prove difficult and I have no idea if he was married either. The only positive thing is, I know who his parents were!

My poor Gt Grandparents not only lost 10 out of 18 children before 1911 but they then lost 2 more because of WW1 and yet another married son died in 1919 leaving 2 young children fatherless.

I'm absolutely gutted at discovering all of this.
                    teresa

Comment

Teresa

Family history contains many surprises and shocks. I think dead children are the worst.

Comment

There is a Thomas Brady on the WW1 records on Ancestry. Thomas Brady born 1892 St Thomas Dublin, next of kin John Brady of 15 Bolton Street, Dublin. Royal Dublin Fusiliers, discharged on the 1/12/1914 through ill health. Regimental No.12339. I don't think he would be on the CWG site as he did not die in action.

I hope this is of some help.

Barbara

Comment

Thanks Barbara

That's interesting. Thomas's father was Michael Brady but he had a brother John too.

Bolton Street features in our Pollard family records too but don't know if the Brady's were living there....always possible of course.
                          teresa

Comment

Teresa

you might find something helpful from our military section in our wiki

Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks Julie

So much information...mind boggling!

Trawled through the WW1 Memorials and Rolls of Honour in Dublin City ..no luck though.
                              teresa

Comment

"one, Thomas Brady was gassed at...... Epsey?
                                He died in a sanatorium in Dublin in 1918 or 1919."

So he wouldnt BE on a roll of honor then?? as he died after he came home? praps the gassing effected him so much that he went mad????
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I don't think he would be mad because he died in a sanatorium! These places existed for people with TB. Many men who were gassed in the Great War had respiratory problems. He may have died of other war-related injuries, or of something completely unconnected.

Comment

I shall have to see if the Dublin records office can find Thomas's death certificate...just hope there aren't too many Thomas Bradys dying in Dubllin City 1818/19.

Have his parents living in Leeson St, Dublin in 1911 but don't know if he was married or single then as he wasn't living with his parents.

Can't locate a suitable Thomas Brady on the 1911 Dublin City Census as I still don't know when he was actually born, but some time between 1873-1900.

I WILL get to resolving the mystery of my Gran's 17 siblings if it's the last thing I do!!!
                                    Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 03-02-08, 11:39. Reason: error!
                                    teresa

Comment

If he died as a result of the war, he could still be on the CWGC. Hubby's great uncle died in Glasgow in WW2, but was still on there.
                                      Lynn

Comment

Hi Lynn

I've already checked out the CWGC and there are several Thomas Bradys on there that could be him but not knowing his year of birth is the problem.
                                        teresa

Comment

Working...
                                        X