Scottish Death Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish Death Certificate

can someone tell me please, If I order a death certificate from Scotland from 1994 will it give the persons date of birth and place of birth and any other names used previously on it. Does it give the parents names too.
    I've also just noticed on Scotlands People you can order an Extract, is that the same as a death certificate? Thanks
    Last edited by Durham Lady; 27-01-08, 14:31.
    Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

See the wiki illustrated guide to Scottish Certs

There are sections for birth, marriage and death certs.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

:oNever thought of that Glen, it's answered some questions but not the difference between a death certificate and an extract or is that just a photocopy of a death certificate?
      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Daphne

Yes, it will be an extract from the records which I am sure means a copy of the cert. I think also it is not usable for any legal purpose.

If you only want the information from it and not to have the actual cert, it might be worth asking if any of the Scots are going to the GROS soon and could look it up for you. Sorry cannot offer myself, it will be a while before I go as I am going back to work tomorrow after being off for 9 weeks with a broken ankle!
        Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.

Comment

Thanks for that Sheila, I might get the extract just to see what it does give me. It's one of my older cousins who died in 1994 in Annan, Scotland and it says she was 66 making her birth around 1928.
          I know her older brother was born in Annan in 1921 and the family always lived there from then, so I expected her to be born there too, but can't find her in Scotland England/Wales registrations. Unfortunately there's no one left alive who could tell me for sure where she was born. I'm just trying to tie up loose ends.
          Daphne

Comment

Oh I wish I'd known about this one before I went 'Home'. I was at GROS on Monday of last week and could have looked this up.

I did a look up for another member (death cert) and the info I got surprised the member I'm not giving out names but that member can if they wish :D

I got the persons name, date of birth, date of death, cause of death, address, parents names including fathers occupation and mothers maiden name and the fact that they were both deceased.

This person had also been married twice and I got the names of both wives.

I also got the name of the person who registered the death and his address.

So you see Daphne their is quite a lot of info to be had.

If you want to hold on to that one for now I can check it out for you when I next go up but I can't say when that will be exactly but will defo be this year and in the first half of the year.
            With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

I have been to New Register House on several ocassions with fruitless searches but I now believe I have found the right one because recently Scotland People uploaded so much more current information. I live in London which makes it a marathon excursion to visit Edinburgh unless going for the Fringe/Edinburgh Tattoo which I do often! :D

I've just ordered a Death Certificate online from GROS via Scotland's People for a death in 1991.

I have read the posts previous but I'm still confused as to whether there will be the same information from an ordered on-line extracted certificate or one you would obtain personally from New Register House, Edinburgh. Is there a difference in information?

And yes I have read the Wiki its the first place I always go for information I thought I was clear on this subject but I'm not now.

Maggie

Comment

Maggie 4 7, if as you say you have ordered a cert from GROS then you are going to get a proper death certificate copy and not an extract.
                SP cannot give extracts for death after the year 1957 as there is a 50 year limit on death, 75 year limit on marriage and a 100 year limit on births on extracts from SP online.

Unless of course the rules have changed since I was there in person last November.
                Last edited by yogihughes; 27-01-08, 19:17. Reason: Correct details

Comment

Originally posted by yogihughes View Post
                  Maggie 4 7, if as you say you have ordered a cert from GROS then you are going to get a proper death certificate copy and not an extract.
                  Fine. That is what I understood it to be - sometimes reading posts tend to muddy the waters for me sometimes.

Thank you.

Maggie

Comment

Originally posted by yogihughes View Post
                    SP cannot give extracts for death after the year 1957 as there is a 50 year limit on death, 75 year limit on marriage and a 100 year limit on births on extracts from SP online.

Unless of course the rules have changed since I was there in person last November.

Rules are the same nothing changed (unless it has in past 6 days)
                    Of course you can still view these online when in register house.

I viewed many deaths but the only ones I could print off a copy of the extract for were pre 1957. The look up I did for an FTF member was in the 80's and I was unable to print off a copy but I could have ordered the cert.
                    The member didn't want the cert just the info so I just copied it down myself.

The most recent death I looked at was 1994.

Comment

For the avoidance of doubt the Scotlandspeople website explains that an extract is an officially certified copy of a statutory register entry or copy of a parish register entry or census page and that extracts of births, marriages and deaths can be used for legal purposes or for formal applications such as passports. My own 'original' birth certificate is merely an extract.

Comment

In FTF downloadable forms there's a pro forma for statutory births, deaths and marriages for anyone going to the Scottish GRO who then only has to write the information off the screen into the appropriate boxes.

When I went it also mentioned on the original marriage entry when a marriage had been dissolved and the date.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                          In FTF downloadable forms there's a pro forma for statutory births, deaths and marriages for anyone going to the Scottish GRO who then only has to write the information off the screen into the appropriate boxes.

When I went it also mentioned on the original marriage entry when a marriage had been dissolved and the date.
                          Where do I find the downloadable forms Jbee??
                          I've been looking but can't find

Comment

Genealogy General

"Reference and How to Guides"

Sorry just saw your message.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                              Genealogy General

"Reference and How to Guides"

Sorry just saw your message.
                              Thanks JBee

Comment

On the Scotland's People website it has recently released modern indexes up to 2006 for births and deaths. Marriages have to follow. The actual images are not available online but copy's of Extracts can be ordered online.

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
                                Raven's Family Tree

Comment

Working...
                                X