No announcement yet.

Your thoughts, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would just concur that it seems to be the same woman (or a very close relative).

As for only having one child -

My gt grandparents John & Emma only had one child, my maternal grandmother, who was born 2 years after they married. Emma died when grannie was just 11. I've wondered if she/he/they weren't fertile, or that she had such a bad time producing Grannie (though this is conjecture I don't have any anecdotes about it) that they decided not to have any more children.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've been reading through this again ... that dress still bothers me ! :D but maybe if she had a bust, it would look more normal ?

My mother's mother's mother was born in 1869 and died in 1918 (flu epidemic).
      I have one photograph of her .... estimated to have been taken in 1893 ... will see if I can find it to put on here .... just to compare the clothes and hairdo.

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Grt Gran ... 1869 - 1918 .... taken abt 1893 when she only had 1 offspring.
        Looks as if she has short hair but I can't be sure ... rather a strange looking woman but she had very attractive daughters.

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Rachel

Yes, the dress still bothers me!

However - if the photo was taken at home, maybe this is what she was wearing - an old, "best frock", to get the wear out of it indoors.

(Wonder what happened to it???).

She died long before I was born of course, but I remember her three sisters very well - they lived in her house after she died, taking care of my GGF. And they wore what I now realise were Edwardian clothes, without the slightest regard for fashion. Good clothes though.

Of course....I have only been TOLD they only had one child. Maybe the 1911 census will say something different? Family memory hasn't proved remarkably accurate so far.

Rachel

Your photo shows a very similar fashion to mine of the same year, although mine is wearing a blouse and skirt, it has the same puff sleeves etc. Do you have any later ones of the same lady to compare?

OC

Comment

OC

I think the lady's age from her face rather than from her clothes is a good guide. Maybe it was a special frock (perhaps from a wedding) and she is proudly showing that it still fits? Or maybe it was one that belonged to another family member and she is showing it fits her too.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Mmmm.... her sisters were very much the poor relations and two were far too fat to have had a frock like that at any time in their life.

To bring in a new element here.....does anyone think the dress looks a bit foreign? My grandfather was a much indulged only child, and studied at a University in Germany before WW1.

It would have been a very special dress if her son had bought it for her, never mind whether it did much for her!

Rummaging around, I found a photo of her sister Emily, taken when Emily was in her 90s - her skin is hardly lined at all. Good skin genes?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                To bring in a new element here.....does anyone think the dress looks a bit foreign? My grandfather was a much indulged only child, and studied at a University in Germany before WW1.

I did wonder at first whether the 2 pics were taken in England ... erm .... but that could be because she reminds me of Anton Diffring (pic 2) .... not sure if I should have said that ! :D :o

Comment

Looking at her eyebrows, earlobes, mouth & hairline, I would definitely say it was the same person.

Also, remember even if it was taken in say 1911/12 that is a full 20 years after the first one, & so she would look definitely aged by then.

Joanie

Comment

Rachel

Who is Anton Diffring???

She is absolutely 100% Cheshire, right back to 1498 - the easy branch of my family!

Funny, because I always think this side of my family look Jewish and I used to tease my dad that they had changed their name from Greenbaum to Green, lol. Drove him up the wall. But I don't have the slightest reason to think there has ever been any hankypanky in the Greens, and Gawsworth, Cheshire, was not a notably Jewish area lol.

Incidentally, Thomas Green, my 7 x GGF on this line was buried with the note "a very tall man", so that is where the height comes from - we are all tall.

OC

Comment

The second photo looks as if it was taken in the dining room of their home - I very vaguely remember that huge picture on the wall and a highly decorated sideboard underneath it.

Do we definitely think it is the same woman in both photos?

OC
                      I do think they are the same woman, though I am surprised at the early date of the first one.

Are you sure that is their dining room? The draped fabric on the left looks fake to me - photographers studio scene?

Comment

I think they are both studio portraits.
                        Jess

Comment

RachelWho is Anton Diffring???OC
                          A rather handsome German actor/film star with pale blue eyes who usually played SS Officers in WW2 films .... I did read somewhere that he was of Jewish origin

I'm googling images but can not find a good pic of him

You will def have seen him in nearly every black and white film related to WW2 ...
                          try this

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 27-01-08, 23:15.

Comment

Well, I could be wrong of course, and it COULD have been taken in a studio - it's just that if it was, then it exactly replicates their dining room, down to flappy curtains at the window, the chair (which I have in my possession!) and the carpet.

I didn't know ANYONE else who had a fitted carpet. This wasn't fitted in the way we think of today, it had been woven especially to fit the room. Over the years it stretched and ruckled up, lol.

The first photo is definitely taken in 1892/3 and is definitely my grandfather as a baby, with (almost definitely) his mother, Eleanor. I think that IS a studio photograph.

OC

Comment

Working...
                            X