No announcement yet.

Gut instinct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No problem Elizabeth. My Cattenachs are from Cromdale and Inverallen, Inverness. Catteneach (all spellings) is the gaelic I think, shortened to Catto elsewhere in Scotland. I also have Forbes in that area, not that that means much of course.

OC

Comment

OC

Very quick response -Gran married in Forres and from Forres. Hadn't thought about looking at the witnesses though. Hmm, interesting one...
      Honestly though, the more I look the more I'm realising just how many Isabella P's there were (It's kind of like Jane Smith -apologies to any Jane Smiths out there!) I've a horrible feeling that this is all going to be goose chase :(

HH

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
        Keith Catto was born c. 1740. He married Margaret Forbes on 31 Mar 1761 at St Mary's Portsea. He was buried 20 Jan 1801 at Holy Trinity Gosport - all Hampshire. I have his will - he had a fair bit of property in Gosport. He was a victualler.

*Sorry, OC, for going off topic.*
        My earliest Margaret Forbes was born 1776 and married William Carle. Sorry.

Comment

OC

This is a really long shot, but do you have any details for James Paterson and Christina Innes (Alexander P's parents)? I'm trying to figure out whether Alexander might have had a brother called James, born about 7 years after Alexander...so possibly around 1855?
          I'm having problems finding anything Scottish (other than the 1861 census) that can be searched for addresses, but I'm probably just being dense. Any pointers would be very welcome :-)

Thanks

HH

Comment

My only Cattenach was Mary Ann. Know nothing about her excpet she married William Allen who was born in 1857. There are three with the surname of Catto as well, but all female and not much about them.
            Jane Catto married Thomas Wyness and had a son, Alexander in Foveran 1818.
            Another Jane Catto married Alexander McKenzie in 1883.
            Christian Catto born about 1779 married John Argo.

Comment

Libby, thanks for telling me about your Forbes and Catto families. I have contact who is a direct descendant of Keith Cat(t)o and lives in Scotland. He has tried to trace Keith's origins but with no success so far.

My Keith had four children: James, Alexander, Jane and Keith. I'm descended from Jane.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

James Paterson and Christina Innes - (m 7 July 1840 St Nicholas)

1851 165 West North St Aberdeen
                James Paterson H M 34 b Kemnay Grocer's porter
                Christina wife 29 B Aberdeen
                >>>JAMES son 11 Aberdeen grocer's boy
                Andrew 10 (bp 10 Feb 1841)
                William 8 (bp 19 Jun 1843)
                Robert 6
                John 3
                Alexander 1

1861 - 165 West North St Ab.
                James HM 44 Kemnay, Shop porter to druggist **
                Christian wife 39 Old Machar
                >>James 21 Newhill Ab House carpenter
                Andrew 20 Greyfriars ropemaker journeyman
                Robert 16 ropemaker appr. (bp 22 Mar 1845)
                John 13 labourer rope works
                Alexander 10 (b 14 Sep 1849/bp 21 October 1849)
                Elizabeth 8 (b 2 Nov 1851/bp 30 Nov
                George Innes 5 b 10 Feb 1856
                Charles 2 b 13 Feb 1859

(also later - Innes Gordon b 13 April 1861, Jane 23 April 1863).

All younger children born Greyfriars.

**When Alexander Paterson m Alexanderina McKenzie, he gave his father James' occupation as Coachman(?)

OC

Comment

Thanks OC

Hmm, no, that James would be too old :(
                  Oh well, back to the drawing board for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    HH

If we can prove that your Isabella is my Isabella, lol, it might be worth getting the divorce papers for Isabella and William Mutch, to see who was guilty of what!

OC
                    OC - this is probably a daft beginner's question but -what sort of info would divorce papers show i.e. is this different from a divorce certificate?

I had a quick look at the NAS website -and found "Unextracted processes, 3rd arrangement, Outer House, C office. William M Mutch v Isabella Paterson or Mutch: Divorce. -but I'm afraid this is gobbledegook to me!!!!!

I'm curious though, cause I found a "Narrative of Marriage" on libindx.moray.gov.uk which lists her as the mother of 3 children with the surname Paterson, as well as a William Mutch)

Comment

Hi Elizabeth, My name is James Keith Catto from Australia in England until 10th November. I am a direct decendant from Keith Catto, through his son Alexander. We have all the information you have, except we have found Keith had 12 children. We have recently come back from a trip to the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth and Gosport and have rechecked the records. We also visited the Holy Trinity Church, Gosport and visited North Street where he was a coal merchant and the victualler of the Sun Tavern. We also are in possession of his Will and the probate notice from the death of his son James. Our problem is that we cannot find where he was born or the name of his father and we suspect they may have come from Scotland. Do you have any further information to help us with our quest? kind regards

Comment

Dear Elizabeth, sorry but we forgot to ask if you could kindly pass the names/email addresses of the people in Scotland who are also searching Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire). Kind regards Jim Catto

Comment

Hi Jim

As this is such an old thread, I doubt if Elizabeth will see this message.

Click on her name at the left hand side of the page and send her a private message.

(Welcome to FTF, by the way!)

OC

Comment

I thought this was an old thread.......took a while for me to look at the date.......lol

Welcome to FTF Jim. A huge lot of my family came from Banffshire and Aberdeenshire in the parish of Cabrach. They came to Australia in the late 1830s.

Comment

I've just seen this, Jim and OC!

Jim, I'll send you a PM so look out for it! I'll give you my e-mail address and we can exchange information that way. It's great to hear from another Catto descendant.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                              X