No announcement yet.

Gut instinct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hm, seems I have misled you a bit maybe - in my defence, this IS an old thread and work continued after I finished posting on it, lol.

This is what I have written in the notes on my tree:

"What, if any, is the connection between Alexander Paterson b 1848, and Isabella Paterson,b 1886, second wife of James Milne Bonnyman?"

Alexander Paterson, (b 1848, parents James Paterson and Christina Innes) married Alexanderina McKenzie (b 1848, daughter of William McKenzie and Agnes Gerrie/Garioch) on 31st December 1867 at 33 Union Place, Aberdeen. Alexander was of 168 West North St, Aberdeen, which was the home of James Milne Bonnyman (born 1878) for over 70 years.

Is this just a coincidence of names?

OC

Comment

"What, if any, is the connection between Alexander Paterson b 1848, and Isabella Paterson,b 1886, second wife of James Milne Bonnyman?"

LOL, oh well, not to worry, you've been a great help and maybe I can make it my mission to answer that question? :-)

It could be a slow process, cause I've got lots of (non genealogy) things happening at the moment, BUT, I promise I will report back in the not too distant future.

I can't give up now, I'm hooked!

HH

Comment

I've got Gerrie and a whole swag of Mutch family. I'll have a squizz and get back......

With all that is happening with my life at the mo.....can you tell me who to look for.......lol

I work better with clear instructions.

Comment

HH

I have some spare SP credits at your disposal - shall I see if I can spot Isabella Paterson with her parents in 1891 or have you already done that?

OC

Comment

OC,

I'm hesitating here, cause I know that SP eats credits (and as Isabella is a very minor part of your family tree) -- I'm thinking it might be best to wait and see if my relatives can find out a bit more first????

I'm embarassed to say that I did a stupid amount of searching on SP (and if I did it again I'd do it differently -live and learn and all that). All I could find in the 1891 census was a Hugh P (aged 46) and wife Isabella in ???Fullerton/Irvine Ayr (sorry, still haven't got the hang of the old fashioned hand writing. No sign of Isabella with them though, so I guessed I'd got the wrong ones. At that point I think I searched for a marriage cert. for the two of them (Hugh P and Isabella McW), couldn't find one, and so stopped.
            Last edited by HappyHaggis; 24-02-10, 23:07. Reason: wrong census year

Comment

Hi Harrys mum

I think OC is the Gerrie and Mutch guru, I've just opened up a teeny retrospective can of worms for her by throwing some potentially unrelated Mutches into the mix! :-)

I'm afraid I can't point anyone in the right direction at the moment, as I've no idea where this family tree is going. When I do though, I'll definitely be back.

Comment

Oooh, Libby, didn't see you there!

Basically, we are looking for Isabella Paterson, born c 1886, with parents Hugh Paterson and Isabella, probably born Morayshire, but don't beat yourself up, these are VERY common names!

Also might be worth looking for William Matthew Mutch, born c 1891, with parents Andrew and Helen, probably Forres, Morayshire although the name Mutch is also more common than I had previously thought!

OC

Comment

Just to confuse things further, LOL, there's a *very* slim chance that Isabella P might have been born in Edinburgh. Nothing concrete, just a hint of a rumour! I still think Morayshire is more likely.

Comment

Are you after census or BMD?

From Ancestry transcript -
                    1901 William Matthew Mutch c1893 Grange, Banffshire
                    12 Moray St, Drainie, Moray
                    Andrew Mutch c1861 Rathen Aberdeenshire Railway porter
                    Helen Mutch c1860 Tarves, Aberdeenshire

William has 8 siblings if you want them. (I've forgotten the question you first thought of!)
                    Gillian
                    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks Gillian, that's great, it's starting to look like all 'Mutch' roads lead back to Aberdeenshire. Hmm, I wonder if that makes a link with OC's Mutchs more likely?
                      Mind you, Aberdeenshire is a fair size.

I don't suppose there's a similar transcript for William's second wife Grace Paterson --1925 marriage (BMD probably.........though as you can probably tell I'm totally new to this)? I hadn't realised that Ancestry carried Scottish data. Sooo, there are alternatives to SP then. Interesting!

Comment

JG

thankyou for that, census is fine, just wanted to see where these Mutches originated. The family I already have in my tree are from Keithhall Aberdeen, so not recent relatives I don't think.

I wonder if Isabella Paterson was illegitimate, but knew her father was Hugh Paterson? That might account for no marriage for Hugh and Isabella Williams/McWilliam.

OC

Comment

Hi OC,

Sorry, we're cross-posting, I was so busy typing I missed your recent post. Isabella definitely knew her father -he appears on her marriage certificate to WM Mutch and on her death certificate (the informant on the late being JMB). Her mother Isabella McW in contrast, is nowhere to be seen on Isabella P's 1st marriage certificate (to WM Mutch), and is listed as deceased on Isabella P's death certificate. However, I think you might be right about her parents not marrying.

Time for some sleep I think!

Thanks.
                          HH

Comment

Found a Alexandrina Patterson who married a George Smith Mutch 1856 Aberdeen.

This is part of my Grant/Gordon/Kellas lot.....a fair way off mine though.

Comment

My Agnes Gerrie marries...................wait for it....................Alexander Smith Alexander.............lol

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                Will

Thanks for that - I did later discover that the name Cattenach and Catto are interchangeable as far as the Scots are concerned, lol, and traced my little orphan laddie back through yet another convoluted family relationship.

OC
                                You may have just done me a great service, OC! My Keith Catto down in Portsmouth in the 1700s married Margaret Forbes, and we are pretty sure they came from Scotland, but we have never been able to trace his birth!

This thread is uncanny, with an illegitimate Isabella and mention of Banfshire. My great-grandmother was Isabella Richardson from Grange, Banfshire, and her mum was a bit free with her favours and had two illegitimate daugthers. I'll be keeping a close eye on this!
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:
                                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

What timeframe are you looking at Elizabeth???

Comment

HH

(Quick, while my daily one new brain cell is operating, lol!)

Do you know the name of the family who brought up your grandmother? It might be worth tracing them to see if they are relatives, they often are.

Also - this seems so obvious but I have to say it - do we think Grace Paterson was related to Isabella Paterson? (Second and first wives of William Mutch)

OC

Comment

OC,

I won't be online much today, so here's my one brain cell's worth!

Unfortunately I don't know the name of the family who brought Isabella P up (I'm hoping that either the 1911 census or my Mum's contact will eventually give me a clue --would it be 'unusual' if it turned out to be related to the father's side of the family? Just wondering how things worked in those days?) I think I'm going to leave that side of it alone for now anyway though, there's too much potential for getting it wrong and hurting/offending people.

Re. Grace Paterson and Isabella Pateson though, yes, I thought exactly the same (and then I thought, no, it's just going to be coincidence again). LOL, I honestly don't know. I'm tempted to look but don't have time today :( Why couldn't I have a less popular surname to work with!

Harrys mum
                                      Thanks. I'm loging all this info, cause although it doesn't fit quite yet, these family trees seem to be like an interconnecting bowl of spaghetti !!!

HH
                                      Last edited by HappyHaggis; 25-02-10, 13:22.

Comment

HH

Your gran was born the same year as my gran. My gran married from her father's home (yep, that's my gran the ORPHAN, lol!) - where did your gran marry? Any clues there at all? Who were the witnesses?

If we can prove that your Isabella is my Isabella, lol, it might be worth getting the divorce papers for Isabella and William Mutch, to see who was guilty of what!

OC

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                                          What timeframe are you looking at Elizabeth???
                                          Keith Catto was born c. 1740. He married Margaret Forbes on 31 Mar 1761 at St Mary's Portsea. He was buried 20 Jan 1801 at Holy Trinity Gosport - all Hampshire. I have his will - he had a fair bit of property in Gosport. He was a victualler.

*Sorry, OC, for going off topic.*
                                          Elizabeth
                                          Research Interests:
                                          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                                          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                                          X