Cholera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cholera

According to the information that I have received, William Hanks Levy's mother died 1831/2 of Cholera, whilst nursing her mother with the same illness. (he was blinded on the day of her funeral, by scalding tea & broken china piercing his eye, he would have only been 1/2 yrs old). My information says that he was then brought up by his grandmother until her death in 1840.
    I assumed that this must have been his Levy grandmother, as his maternal one had had cholera and I assumed wouldn't have survived, but I can't find a death for Jane Levy in 1840 in Kent, although I have found one for a Hanks.
    My question is, could his maternal grandmother have survived Cholera back in the 1830s?
    Lynn

I should think she could.

I have a family on my tree where three of them (father and two children) died in two days in Aug 1832 from cholera, but two other children in the family also had it (according to the burial record for the second child) but they didn't die.

Registration of deaths wasn't compulsory until 1875, though the percentage of deaths registered was higher than for births.

Comment

That would make sense, although I wish it had been his paternal grandmother as she is the one I am related to
      Lynn

Comment

If that's him is St Luke's in 1841, who are Sarah (40) and George (50) Levy who he is living with?

Comment

His dad remarried, his mother was Mary Ann Hanks
          Lynn

Comment

What if granny had moved nearer to her son George as she became infirm?

Deaths Mar 1841
            LEVY Jane Whitechapel 2 477

The death might have been in Dec 1840 and Whitechapel has boundaries with St Luke's district.

Or she might be someone else entirely!!

Comment

Oops, forget that.....I expect the death was for a child:

Births Mar 1841
              Levy Jane Whitechapel 2 531

Comment

The 1832 cholera epidemic in East London (1979)

This is an interesting article about the cholera epedemic in 1832.

It seems that two thirds of the people who caught the desease survived.

Comment

The info I got said that his grandmother owned property in Rochester, which is why I looked for a death in Kent. The Hanks death I found was Greenwich
                  Lynn

Comment

That is very interesting Pat, thanks. Sadly I don't know anything more about Mary Ann, to be sure if the death in Greenwich is her mother or not.
                    Lynn

Comment

Working...
                    X