Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion please - how old would a ships boy be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion please - how old would a ships boy be?

I found this article on family records and wondered if you too would think that 17 would be too old for a ships boy.

I traced Robert Holbrook using the records here at The National Archives and found that he is mentioned in naval records. It seems that Robert Holbrook joined the ship 'the Orion' in 1805 as the ship's boy. The Orion fought in the Battle of Trafalgar having joined the main fleet off Cadiz in August of 1805. Surprisingly he was not the only young boy onboard; there was another ship's boy, eleven-year-old Thomas Tatler.

I have Robert Holbrook born 1788 and he was in the navy when he married. But would you think that he would have still been classed as a ship's boy at that age? Unless he was training his successor up? Any Naval experts out there please?

Thank you in anticipation.

The management does not accept responsibility for any sensible comments that may accidentally appear in this posting. Occurrences are incidental and not based upon actual intelligence .......

I assume he wouldn't be called a Seaman until he was 18.
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Might be of interest

Boy Seaman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Elaine

Comment

Thank you Gramps and Elaine I had been thinking along those sort of lines but you can't really guess as they weren't considered children for long in 'the olden days' ...........
        .......... as far as I can see I can't find him serving on there at Trafalgar, but according to ancestry the records aren't complete yet. Looks like I've got three sets of naval records to find now!!!

The management does not accept responsibility for any sensible comments that may accidentally appear in this posting. Occurrences are incidental and not based upon actual intelligence .......

Comment

Wasn't Nelson 12 when he joined? and I believe the "powder monkeys" could be even younger.
          Last edited by Just Barbara; 21-01-08, 11:40.

Comment

The records would give an age and usually a place of birth. From the sounds of the bit you have quoted, he should be on the Trafalgar dtabase, and that should give his age.

The one they are talking about is aged 11, born in America.
            Phoenix - with charred feathers
            Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoenix View Post
              The records would give an age and usually a place of birth. From the sounds of the bit you have quoted, he should be on the Trafalgar dtabase, and that should give his age.

The one they are talking about is aged 11, born in America.
              Thank you for that I had searched before and only come up with James Holbrook from the Isle of Wight ....... forgot about the occasional added 'e' ........ oh well back to the drawing board!

Last edited by mandy blueknees; 22-01-08, 22:35.

Comment

Hi Mandy,

I am linked to the Holbrooks of the IoW.
                Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Well Jim if you had a James born Sheenwell and enlisted in the Navy he sailed on the Ajax at Trafalgar !!!

Mine married in Tolleshunt Essex but I would like to work out where the family came from. Think it's going to take a trip down south to look at records.

A lot of the Holbrooks down south seem to be on the IoW but being seafaring my lot moved around a bit so could originate from anywhere.

Last edited by mandy blueknees; 22-01-08, 22:36.

Comment

Hi Mandy

My Holbrook's originate from Kent. I am back as far as the 1840's at the mo. They alternated between Holbrook and Holdbrook.

Terri

Comment

Working...
                    X