Military question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahhh,

well I do have a NOK on the stuff I d'loded from ancestry. Is very puzzling though
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Julie

RFA on the first card is Royal Field Artillery, but I expect you already knew that. Medal cards are a bit like certs, you won't know what's on them till you get them.

My grandfather's wasn't very helpful, but luckily I DO have his army records which give details of when and where he was and what he did all that time.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Okay, having looked through the WW1 pension records on ancestry, it certainly looks as if the 2 medal index cards do belong to two different people. I'm not sure why you say that you got both regimental numbers from the one man's 25 page file?

If you search for Frank Manley on ancestry, it comes up with 3 matches in the WW1 pension records.
        First one - number 28258, born Sidbury, Honiton, Devon, joined Royal Artillery 11 Jun 1898 when he was 20 yrs 1 month old. Served as a Driver. Wife's name Annie Margaret.
        Second one - number 147547 Private in ASC, born Silverton, Devon, joined 4th Nov 1915 age 35 yrs 250 days, trade Motor Mechanic.
        Third one - number 36918 Lincolnshire Regt and then Royal Berks Regt. Joined at Leyton, Essex in 1914 age 21.

If you look through all the pages of the first one, and keep clicking on "Next", it just takes you straight on to the second one, which may be why you thought the one man had two different numbers? Anyway, the first medal card you posted up is for the first one on ancestry, and the second one you posted up is for the second one on ancestry. There are two births on FreeBMD which look close matches for these two:

Frank Manley born Jun 1876 Honiton for the one born Sidbury
        Frank Manley born Dec 1875 Tiverton for the one born Silverton (as Tiverton district includes Silverton).

Ah, and I was getting all excited because I thought we finally had definite proof that one man could have 2 medal index cards. Never mind, hopefully the above has sorted out which one is the right one for your man?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ahhh

right I see now, the first one, (sidbury) is my one, but the other one might be connected as well,

It doesn't help when they all have the same names, through the families..lol.

I will have to go through this in greater detail and see what else I can find.

Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It is possible for one man to have 2 medal cards, as my grandfather has. One for his medals & the other for his silver war badge. I would think it unlikely that someone could have 2 cards for 2 different sets of medals.
            Lynn

Comment

Working...
            X