How can I get details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I get details?

Walter Element b c1897 died in WW1, I have found this entry on the Common Wealth War Graves site.

Element Walter E, Private, Service No G/11285, Date of Death 18/08/1916, Age Unknown, Regiment/Service Middlesex Regiment, Grave/Memorial Ref : Pier and Face 12D and 13B, Cemetery/Memorial THIEPVAL Memorial.

Is there a site where I could find more details of either his army records or how he died?

Thanks
    www.chrisatstjohns.tribalpages.com
    http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/index.php/User:ChrissyConfused-91

This site here Chrissie is the absolute authority on WWI.

Join their forum and you'll very quickly learn a fair bit I expect!!

You can find the forum on the right hand side of the page on the link below (about half way down)

The Long, Long Trail

Comment

Chrissy

I have 3 in the tree who died in WW1 and their death certificates all just say Killed in Action

The death record should be in the Overseas Section on findmypast

Comment

Many WW! soldiers' records were destroyed in a fire, but those that survive are in The National Archives at Kew. Also there will be the regimental diaries which would give information about where he was fighting.

You might find a report of his death in his hometown local paper which might provide a bit more information for you.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

First World War.com - On This Day - 18 August 1916

tells you what was happening 18 Aug 1916 in WW!. You might need to see what was happening in the days previously to work out where your chap was injured.

Comment

Puzzled by Walter E Element born c1897. No likely birth registration in indexes on Ancestry, though there is a Cecil Walter J Element born 1897 in Wandsworth.

1901 census has a Walter Element born abt 1897 Croxley, Hertfordshire, living in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire with parents Henry and Eliza.

Comment

If a man died his papers wont be there - they were all taken out and destroyed in a clear out years ago.

Only men who survived have a likelihood of their papers surviving, that's if they weren't burnt in WWII by the bombing.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                Puzzled by Walter E Element born c1897. No likely birth registration in indexes on Ancestry, though there is a Cecil Walter J Element born 1897 in Wandsworth.

1901 census has a Walter Element born abt 1897 Croxley, Hertfordshire, living in Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire with parents Henry and Eliza.
                Yes thats him, sorry I got waylaid on Ancestry, was looking at their pension records and have come across Walter's brother Herbert.

Comment

Chrissy,

if you're very interested in researching the day he died, it would mean a trip to Kew to look at the War Diary of his regiment. It may mention how/when he died, it will depend on if it was a big battle or not.

Someone on the WW1 Forum has probably researched the Middlesex Regiment & will probably be able to tell you.
                  ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Originally posted by Snowdrops in Bloom View Post
                    If a man died his papers wont be there - they were all taken out and destroyed in a clear out years ago.

Only men who survived have a likelihood of their papers surviving, that's if they weren't burnt in WWII by the bombing.
                    Not sure what you mean by that.

My great uncle was killed on 7 Oct 1916, and his name is one of those on the Thiepval Memorial. I was able to see his service record at Kew, and it was very moving to be able to do so. (FTF was kind enough to take my article about the search for info about him, and include it in their November magazine.)

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you looked on Ancestry to see if he is listed in the WW1 pensions database? I thought at first that it only included soldiers who lived to get a pension, but I have indeed found one of my rellies who died in the war on there, because the pension was paid to his widow. So worth a try.

Also, a few sites, including findmypast, have the "Soldiers Who Died in the Great War" database which may give you some more info.

You can download his medal index card from the National Archives Documents Online for £3.50 which should tell you which regiments he was in and where he first served overseas, and of course which medals he qualified for. Then if you go to Kew you can use the info from the medal index card to look at the medal rolls which may give you more info (when I had a researcher look up the medal roll entry for my great-uncle it gave me the date he enlisted, which surprised me a lot because it turned out he joined in 1908 so he was a career soldier!)
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

One of my relatives was killed in WWI, and his service record was found at Kew.

Comment

"Have you looked on Ancestry to see if he is listed in the WW1 pensions database? I thought at first that it only included soldiers who lived to get a pension, but I have indeed found one of my rellies who died in the war on there, because the pension was paid to his widow. So worth a try."

Hi Kate, as he was only 19 when he died don't think there would of been a Mrs Element, but I have looked and found his brother Herbert on there and have printed the info out

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                            One of my relatives was killed in WWI, and his service record was found at Kew.
                            I've also got papers from one of them who died at Ypres Salient in 1917

Comment

Working...
                            X