Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brick Wall Down, but slaps self hard!

Blog Entries

Brick Wall Down, but slaps self hard!

I have spent a wonderful couple of days kicking down one of my most persistent brick walls.

All my 2 x greatgrandfather’s mother and brothers disappeared en masse from Wiltshire after 1861. For months I scoured deaths, ship passenger lists, without finding a sign of them, but I assumed they must have emigrated.

They did - to Wales.
    It didn’t cross my mind to check the Welsh censuses, and if I hadn’t opened a Welsh census by mistake, I still wouldn’t have found them.

So if there is anyone else out there who is as stupid as me – don’t give up hope.
    Those missing ancestors might be right under your nose!!!!

lol Bev!

Some of mine went from Wilts to Wales between 1861 and 1871. And they changed occs from carpenter and ag lab to coal miners. Was there a recruitment drive, do you think?

Oh Bev! Wot u like?!

Still, all's well that ends well eh?
    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Blog Entries
    *hangs head in shame*

*but dances gleefully around the room because I added almost 50 to my tree*

Good ones too - no coal miners, or Jones's!!

I've found several of my rellies and non-rellies who lived in Gloucestershire went to Glamorgan to work in coal mines during later 19th century. I guess it was part of a general shift from agricultural labour to industrial labour.

When looking for husband's Welsh lot I often find I am opening English census by mistake!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Congratulations Bev - you must be over the moon.

*slinks off to look for Smith in Wales and Scotland*
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
    Some of mine went from Wilts to Wales between 1861 and 1871. And they changed occs from carpenter and ag lab to coal miners. Was there a recruitment drive, do you think?
    More likely that the wages were attractive. There were collieries in the Forest of Dean as well as in the Welsh Valleys.
    Uncle John

I have just had a similar experience. I found one of my grandmother's brothers had emigrated from Somerset to Scotland. I already had the names from a family will but it explains why I could not find BMD's.

Our local mining museum in Radstock Somerset has recruitment posters for the South Wales mines offering free oilskins.
    Anne

Quote Originally Posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post

There were recruitment drives all over the West Country. The coal and steel industry in the valleys was funded by rich Bristol merchants and there were posters printed and displayed in many towns offering work in the valleys.
    Gwynne

Interesting to learn that Gwynne.

I had several gt x3 uncles who disappeared. I thought they'd changed their name in shame over their elder brother (sent to Broadmoor - read about it in forthcoming FTF magazine) but they went to Glamorgan and I guess the combination of Glos accents and Welsh interpretation meant that all of them had different variants of the name, which altered with virtually every census/baby's birth registered!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy