Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How can I get details?

Blog Entries
    Have you looked on Ancestry to see if he is listed in the WW1 pensions database? I thought at first that it only included soldiers who lived to get a pension, but I have indeed found one of my rellies who died in the war on there, because the pension was paid to his widow. So worth a try.

Also, a few sites, including findmypast, have the "Soldiers Who Died in the Great War" database which may give you some more info.

You can download his medal index card from the National Archives Documents Online for £3.50 which should tell you which regiments he was in and where he first served overseas, and of course which medals he qualified for. Then if you go to Kew you can use the info from the medal index card to look at the medal rolls which may give you more info (when I had a researcher look up the medal roll entry for my great-uncle it gave me the date he enlisted, which surprised me a lot because it turned out he joined in 1908 so he was a career soldier!)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

If a man died his papers wont be there - they were all taken out and destroyed in a clear out years ago.
    One of my relatives was killed in WWI, and his service record was found at Kew.

"Have you looked on Ancestry to see if he is listed in the WW1 pensions database? I thought at first that it only included soldiers who lived to get a pension, but I have indeed found one of my rellies who died in the war on there, because the pension was paid to his widow. So worth a try."

Hi Kate, as he was only 19 when he died don't think there would of been a Mrs Element, but I have looked and found his brother Herbert on there and have printed the info out

Quote Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
    One of my relatives was killed in WWI, and his service record was found at Kew.
    I've also got papers from one of them who died at Ypres Salient in 1917