British Home Children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Home Children

I had a thread previously on this subject but thats now fallen off the last page.

One thing I forgot to say in the last thread which I have added to the Wiki is that there are many youngsters in the Home Child Index that were both born and sent between the censuses so do not appear on any Uk census so it is worth searching the database even if you do not have a known missing ancestor as you may find a relative that you did not know existed.

Introduction - Home Children (1869-1930) - ArchiviaNet - Library and Archives Canada

Personally I am proud to have one in my tree, part of me wishes I could back in time to the day she left England so that I could just reassure her that she will not be forgotten and to say goodbye.

George
    Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

My great grandfather would weep when talking about the brother and sisters he lost due to this tragically mis-managed scheme. Now I've traced them I feel very humble - my mother says he would have been overjoyed to know what I have discovered.
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

I think what saddens me sometimes is

1. She never met her brother again but there were some correspondance in late adulthood.

2. My great great grandparents who raised her brother as their own from the age of 8 never spoke of her and presumbly never tried to find her as my gran never knew of her existance though she had many memories of the brother.

Essentially from the age of 12 she had to survive in a new country on her own. I am not sure I could have done that at 12.

So rest in peace Marjorie Scherer formerly Elizabeth Griffin, arr 1901 in Canada aged 12. Almost 106yrs ago now.
      Proud to be connected to Elizabeth (Marjorie) Griffin, one of over 100,000 British Home Children sent from United Kingdom to Canada & Australia to begin a new life.

Comment

Working...
      X