Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Zealand newspapers site

Dont know if this has been mentioned or added to the wiki, saw it on GR

Just google Papers Past.... this is what the site offers.

Papers Past contains more than one million pages of digitised New Zealand newspapers and periodicals. The collection covers the years 1840 to 1915 and includes publications from all regions of New Zealand.

Heather,

I spent the weekend searching this site & its great!!

It helps that my NZ surname (Dalzell), is fairly unusual, Smith might be more of a problem...I got 500 hits....but there were some good nuggets, including birth/death/wedding announcements, & passenger lists, plus things like school prize giving, football teams & land transfers.

There was a fascinating contrast between stories about the poor miners, who were obviously eecking a living, and the social whirl of the "upper" class attending tea parties.

This is the website, for those who can't be bothered to google.

Papers Past

I'll also put the NZ Archives link up, as this was very useful too!

Archway :: Simple Search
    ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Yes, Ive just been playing with it as I have no certain connections but just got up a marriage in 1878 - a Mr Peter Cheal, son of the late Robert Cheal of London.

Well, thats interesting as I know there is a large Cheal family in NZ and wondered how it started. Will check out which of my Cheals likely

Comment

Found my man in the NZ army in 1914-18 in the NZ army archives. He married in 1917 in England. His marriage cert. says he was a private in the NZ navy.
        Last edited by Uncle John; 17-01-08, 15:48.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          Found my man in the NZ army in 1914-18 in the NZ army archives. He married in 1917 in England. His marriage cert. says he was a private in the NZ navy.
          I know that private is an army rank (or lack of it?), but I didn't think it existed as a navy rank.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thank you for the link to this one. It gives the brief details of my great grand uncles death. Killed by a train. I was then able to send the link to my aunt who had neve seen the paper before. I am sure I had read a report about him before in more detail as it said he was the son of Thomas and Caroline

Comment

I also checked it a couple of weeks ago and found my g grandfather's brother advertising in 1894 and 1897 for news of his son who'd emigrated to NZ in 1874 - they hadn't heard from him for five years or so. I know that the son had moved to Australia but I wonder if his parents ever found him.
              Jenny

Comment

How lovely gloryer, finding something that personal.

Comment

Thanks for information on N.Z paper's. I was able to find several report's on my Peakman's. My g/g/uncle Wm. P left Birmingham in 1848 & went to N.Z. I have visited his grave in Hastings, Hawkes Bay & met 1 of my Maori cousins. I found in Hawkes Bay Weekly Times 1868 when he granted his land. Also report on his grandson Paku who was involved in a car accident.

Comment

Thank you for the link to this site.

I have just found out that my GGG Grandather's Brother sailed to New Zealand on the William Bryan. He was amongst one of the first Pioneers into New Plymouth.

On this site I have found a report on this Ship arriving it is so good to have a copy of the original newspaper article and I will be searching again later to see what else I can find.

Regards
                    Jill

Comment

Working...
                    X