Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeREG - don't forget to keep checking back

FreeREG - Search UK Parish Register Indices

I've just found my 4 x great-grandfather's baptism on there. I've been trying to find it for so long! I have a tree my granny did a long time ago showing his parents on it, but until now I was never 100 % sure she was right. Thank you so much FreeREG!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Hi there KiteRunner,

Yes FreeReg is great, it is all due to the hard work of transcribers, I have become one for Somerset as a way helping future researchers. Please anyone reading this, have a go, it is easy and you will receive lots of help and advice.

Like you KiteRunner I found a lot of my Ancestors on FreeReg. It is updated once a month, if you dont suceed in your search first time, keep trying each month.

Great to talk
    jacquei

Comment

I have a list of people I check for on FreeREG each month.

Comment

I wish they would get a new county controller for Hampshire, then I could transcribe the Isle of Wight for them. Been waiting now over a year for them to find someone!

There is nothing on there for Hampshire.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy,

Have you been in touch with them recently? I will mention it to my controller for Somerset and see what advice he can give.

jacquei

Comment

Freereg Subscribing Hampshire Attn Wendy

Hi Wendy,

I have contacted my cousin Yvonne who has been subscribing for 10 years and she suggested this link

The Hampshire OPC project link is: Welcome to Knightroots

Hampshire has a very active group of transcribers with their OPC project

Hope this helps Wendy

regards
            jacquei

Comment

Goodness, you're all very lucky - FreeReg seems to have virtually no coverage of the counties I'm interested in.

Comment

Maybe we should offer for Leics. I tried searching for Smith in Leicestershire, just out of curiosity, and nothing came up :(

Comment

Two of the parishes I'm interested in in Lincolnshire are not even listed in the county (Burgh le Marsh and Welton le Marsh). Non of the other parishes I'm interested in have anything entered for them either.

I'm not criticising because this is an immense undertaking. I'm fully occupied with other transcribing and data collecting otherwise I would try to do some of this too.

Anne

Comment

I have found quite a few baptisms for Nottingham and also marriages and baptisms for Norfolk.

This has given me the names of people I never knew existed, born and died in between census and also some valuable addresses.

Just to say thank you to anyone who does transcribe for them.

Lin
                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Norfolk is well covered now. I think they need some more co-ordinators for those counties that haven't anyone transcribing for them.
                      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                      X