Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reference checking on GRO certificates

Can anyone remind me?

I have to order my first certificate with a really common name.

I want to make sure it is the right one really, so I think I can use reference checking is that correct?

Eg my cert is for Mary Evans but I don't want it unless her father is Samuel Evans.

How do I do it?
    Thanks

Joanie

Which district is it?

Comment

Hi Merry !

It's Marylebone.

March 1840 vol 1 page 151.

Does that help?

;)

Joanie

Comment

lol No. I was going to say apply to the local office instead, but you can't if it's Marylebone!

I've never asked for a ref check, so can't tell you how.......but I do know they will only send the cert if the check fits exactly....so you say father is a blacksmith and the cert says farrier....they don't send the cert!!

Comment

Is that Evans example the actual names? How old was Mary?

Comment

Yes, I've used ref checking. If they don't find an exact match to your reference criteria they'll send you an e mail saying so and charge you £3 instead of the £7. They recredit your bank account as refund.
            CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Well I am not 100% certain it is the right one, she was born in St Pancras.

However she did have a brother Henry; he was born in 1838, & there is also a Henry registered in Marylebone too, & I think Bloomsbury/St Giles/St Pancras/Marylebone are all pretty close according to multimap, lol!!

:D

Joanie

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                Is that Evans example the actual names? How old was Mary?
                Originally posted by taffyfrog View Post
                Yes, I've used ref checking. If they don't find an exact match to your reference criteria they'll send you an e mail saying so and charge you £3 instead of the £7. They recredit your bank account as refund.
                Merry, yes they are real names, lol!

Er Mary was born Nov 1839.

Carole, thanks for that, so if I just put Samuel as her father, if it is the wrong Mary I only lose £3 ? That sounds ok!

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

Don't forget, if you want reference checking, you have to ask TWICE.

Long time since I've ordered from the GRO, but if you just put "father's name to be Joe Bloggs" the FIRST time it asks you, they don't check it!

The second time they ask you, page 3?4? is where they pay attention. I am pretty sure this costs you extra though.

OC

Comment

my last ref check from GRO was about 6 months ago. First page was for first ref checking and then second click was for another ref checking. Still use Gro as some register offices (eg Ulverston, seem impossible to contact by phone)

Didn't cost any extra

Comment

The ref check I used came near the end. You could put one point for the check and it didn't cost anything. As Taffy said they emailed me and refunded £4.

Trouble was I didn't believe them in the end and had to reorder it so it cost me more ...... AND it was wrong :o:o

Anne

Comment

I thought reference checking is to say "I want Mary Evans, daughter of Samuel, and it could be one of these 4 references so please check them all and send me the right one"
                        Not for checking details on the certificate

It costs an extra £3 - so £10 in total, but if they don't get a match they refund you £7

If you fill in your boxes as normal and put Samuel in the father box and the reference you give isn't Samuel then they refund you £4 from your normal £7.
                        Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Joan

Yes, but I am becoming highly suspicious now of reference checking -mistakes happen on the indexes as they do on the censii (even the original images and BMD certificates). On the other hand, just received a marriage cert, was 99.9% sure of the father's surname so didn' ask for ref checking. Guess what, father was in the 0.1%. BIG disappointment but might lead to other paths.

Comment

Zoe

Have never paid more than £7 for any cert- ref checked or not

Comment

Index references
                              If you find an index reference but are unsure if it relates to the record that you are looking for you can use our reference checking service. This service allows you to check if a specific piece of information is contained in the record without having to purchase a certificate.

You need to be certain of one piece of information you would expect to see on the certificate e.g. for a birth record the father’s full name.

Document matches
                              We will produce a certificate if the checking information provided matches the record being checked for the normal £7.00 fee. Once we find the matching record we will stop searching and produce the certificate. A fee of £3.00 will be charged for each entry checked that does not result in a certificate being produced.
                              Zoe in London

Comment

Yes Zoe I have found that. I was a bit worried about them charging "£3 for each entry checked" cos there were loads of Evans lol !

I have ordered it without any checks, so fingers crossed it will be the right one!

Joanie

Comment

that bits actually a new one on me - might be a recent change as i"ve only ever paid £3 for a handful of references

I guess they've had too many people paying £3 and giving too many things to check
                                  Zoe in London

Comment

The only other way I can check is to track someone down who is going to the London Metropolitan Archives, to check the original Parish records for me. I've been trying to find that page in the wiki but couldn't. (The one that lists the people who go regularly).

Can anyone shove me in the right direction? :o

Thanks!

Joanie

Comment

I think there are two differnt types of check

1. the one Taffy and I have had is a "send if the father's name is Thomas but not if its something else"

2. the other one is a "one of these three may be correct and send me the one with Thomas on it" For this they charge extra, but not for version 1.

Anne

Comment

LMA is shut for ages for refurbishment so no-one will be going for a while
                                        Zoe in London

Comment

Working...
                                        X