Place/Year/Uniform - why and where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place/Year/Uniform - why and where?

Can anyone date this photograph and explain the uniform, its not a good copy though so I appreciate the difficulty but I expect anyone that knows uniforms will spot it immediately.

Maggie
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

... and this is 'his' wife my nanny (born in 1888 too) what year do you think this is.

Maggie
    Last edited by Pippa Doll; 12-11-08, 21:46.

Comment

i would say she was 17/8 on this photo,brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by brenmac View Post
        i would say she was 17/8 on this photo,brenda xxx
        Could be.

Maggie
        Last edited by Guest; 13-01-08, 09:35.

Comment

You could ask on the photo thread to clean trhe picture up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
            You could ask on the photo thread to clean trhe picture up a bit.

I have already, in fact thats what I did first before I came here.

Regards

Maggie
            Last edited by Guest; 12-01-08, 20:18.

Comment

Hi Maggie, your granny appears to be wearing a shirt waister, these came in about 1902, which would fit with granny being very young. The boys will know a lot more about grandpa, but he looks more Boer war than ww1, this would be about 1904 I think for the last one....

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                Hi Maggie, your granny appears to be wearing a shirt waister, these came in about 1902, which would fit with granny being very young. The boys will know a lot more about grandpa, but he looks more Boer war than ww1, this would be about 1904 I think for the last one....

I know he'd seen a lot of campaigns and occupations in regards to the British Army (but I think the boer war is just to early) I am open to be corrected that would explain a lot of things. But no I don't think he made the Boer war...

Maggie
                Last edited by Guest; 13-01-08, 09:34.

Comment

Hi again Maggie, the Boer war finished in 1902 but there were campaigns there till 1906ish and that would fit him in, not saying he went but he does look about that period though I'm willing to be corrected by someone who knows more than me (not hard..:D )

Comment

He is wearing a hat known as a Pillbox cap which was replaced in 1903 by the peaked forage cap. He is also wearing a bandolier across his chest which would have held ammunition in the pouches and which had become popular during the Boer War, I would also say, ( and I stand to be corrected), that he is wearing Service Dress which had been introduced into the army in the January of 1902. As for the regiment it is hard to say from the photograph.

don

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                      Hi again Maggie, the Boer war finished in 1902 but there were campaigns there till 1906ish and that would fit him in, not saying he went but he does look about that period though I'm willing to be corrected by someone who knows more than me (not hard..:D )
                      Thank you Just Barbara. I had absolutely no idea the Boer War went on that long and for so late. My knowledge of history is appalling.

Maggie
                      Last edited by Guest; 13-01-08, 16:29.

Comment

Originally posted by don.t View Post
                        He is wearing a hat known as a Pillbox cap which was replaced in 1903 by the peaked forage cap. He is also wearing a bandolier across his chest which would have held ammunition in the pouches and which had become popular during the Boer War, I would also say, ( and I stand to be corrected), that he is wearing Service Dress which had been introduced into the army in the January of 1902. As for the regiment it is hard to say from the photograph.

don
                        Thank you - well he was born in 1888 and was put in the army quite young - I don't know at what age they accepted people then but I think he was 16/17 when he joined up.

He was a regular soldier not called up. I think he was in the army for about 20 years and he was based at Woolwich for a time when he wasn't at war or on the Rhine.

Maggie
                        Last edited by Guest; 13-01-08, 15:41.

Comment

my immediate answer to......." he was based at Woolwich...." would be one of..... "ah, well, he was an artillery man then"..... as this had been their home base since 1805 until their last parade and march out in May 2007.

don

Comment

Thanks to everyone for looking at the photo and for your comments.

I appreciate it.

Maggie

Comment

my immediate answer to......." he was based at Woolwich...." would be one of..... "ah, well, he was an artillery man then"..... as this had been their home base since 1805 until their last parade and march out in May 2007.

don
                              To let you know.

Just received my mother's oldest/first born brother's birth certificate from his grand daughter born 21st January 1908 profession of his father is professional soldier Driver in (can't read this but ) but it does say Artillery.

And now I have my grandfather's regiment information, I have Number RASC T.313650 Roll No 22189 and I also have his medal card and I think he was decommissioned in January 1921 and he has all his campaign medals for WWI.

I'm not sure of the ins and outs of the regiments and stuff but thank you for your help. I'm still not sure what he did but I know from my mother's ramblings he had a 'very bad time' in WWI.

I think that photo was taken when he first joined up when he was 16 (1904) now having had input from yourself and Just Barbara. I was always told he joined up at a young age...or to be more precise his parents joined him up.

Thank you.

Maggie
                              Last edited by Guest; 16-01-08, 22:18.

Comment

RASC - Royal Army Service Corps become Royal Corps of Transport (currently Royal Logistics Corps) so driver fits that.

A bit of history here - waggoners

Geraldine

Comment

Morning Maggie,
                                  The T in front of the number would denote that he was a member of The Territorials against that of the regular army.

don

Comment

Originally posted by Geraldine View Post
                                    RASC - Royal Army Service Corps become Royal Corps of Transport (currently Royal Logistics Corps) so driver fits that.

A bit of history here - waggoners

Geraldine

Thank you, I'll go have a look at that site.

Maggie

Comment

Morning Maggie,
                                      The T in front of the number would denote that he was a member of The Territorials against that of the regular army.

don
                                      I didn't see this post - we practically posted at the same time this morning and then I went off to work.

Territorials! Thank you. Interesting I'll have to go and google and see what it all means. As far as I am aware he was in the Regular Army not the Territorials but maybe I've got it wrong.

Maggie

EDIT: to say things are becoming a bit clearer and I am remembering stuff my mother told me years ago. Having looked at the Long, Long Trail website I think he was in The 47th (2nd London) Division The 47th (2nd London) Division, 1914-1918

I can't confirm this at the moment and its possible I could be totally wrong but I think that was the Division, I'll have to ask my Aunt. I don't think she knows much though.

I hope its okay to put that link in.

PS I've changed the division, this one seems more likely as they seem to have been based in Blackheath/Woolwich.
                                      Last edited by Guest; 17-01-08, 20:55.

Comment

Working...
                                      X