Dentists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dentists

Did dentists and do they have to register with someone to say that they can practice? If they do does anyone know when it was first started please and where i would look to see who was registered.
    Thankyou in advance.
    Jen

History of dentistry timeline here: British Dental Association

It says First Dental Register was 1879.

History of dentistry here: British Dental Association

and I imagine if the older registers survived they would be with the British Dental Association, or that they would know where they are kept.

Its also likely you would be able to find a particular dentist in the relevant trade directories, some of which are online and others would be in the relevant county records offices/major libraries.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thankyou Nell will go and get looking.
      Jen

Comment

Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section - Sources For Tracing Apothecaries, Surgeons, Physicians

says "6. Dentists

Details of dentists from 1866 can be found in Medical Directories: see the first part of this leaflet. The Library also holds the Dentist's Register 1976 and 1980 to date."

Comment

Nell am i being silly but i cant find anything saying Medical directories on the front page.
          Jen

Comment

see under "section 4: printed sources

Comment

Thankyou couldn't see for looking.
              Jen

Comment

Aha, I have a dentist (1797-1870) who immigrated from Italy and married in Birmingham in 1824. The family then moved to Sunderland. His son born 1839 also became a dentist, but was fond of his drink and died of what looks like DTs in the county asylum in 1878.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X