Isle of Man research sites??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Man research sites??

hi...i have a marriage in 1883 (in liverpool city centre)and the wife is sarah a martin(we think ann)..i have looked on lancs bmd for her birth,with no joy...my cousin reckons that sarah was born on the isle of man 1860`s...this is news to me,so i`ve looked up i.o.m bmd`s,but i can only find marriages.....any one any I.O.MAN research sites please??...thanks...allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Where does she state she was born on the censuses?

There is quite a bit of IOM stuff on the IGI but I don't know what dates it goes up to - this may be too recent.

OC

Comment

have you exhausted all of these?
      Jess

Comment

thanks jess...i`ll have a look at that site now...regards...allan
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Which man did she marry, Allan?

Comment

hi merry....a jenkins in 1883,st stephens,liverpool....regards...allan

Comment

I can't be certain without more info, but as she was Sarah Ann and he was John Henry, this family in Liverpool look like the ones, but she is born in Liverpool (at least on this census!)

1891:

RG12; Piece: 2948; Folio 97; Page 16

Comment

Can recommend this site: Manx Genealogy - Message Index

Folk on there very knowledgeable and helpful. Also I found the families I was looking for by going through each church on Isle of Man via IGI batch nos:IGI Batch Numbers for Isle Of Man, England

Good luck. Liz
                Liz

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                  thanks jess...i`ll have a look at that site now...regards...allan

Did you manage to find anything helpful?
                  Jess

Comment

thanks merry...thats the marriage..sarah ann and john henry...so it was ann ..thats good to find....as for her being born in liverpool..thats what i always thought....
                    thanks liz...for iom site
                    jess...i searched that site...it seemed more for registering births/marriages/deaths present day...like a government info site...thanks all....allan...added
                    merry...i trawled the lancs bmd site yesterday for sarah anns birth,but got no joy...the only sarah ann martin i could find was born in wigan....allan
                    Last edited by garstonite; 12-01-08, 10:11.

Comment

since i think we have confirmed that sarah ann was born in liverpool,does a moderator want to delete this thread...or leave it on for anyone else looking for iom reference sites???.regards...allan

Comment

Allan

She only SAYS she was born in Liverpool. That isn't proof that she WAS born in Liverpool.

My 2 x GGM was born in IOM. In one census she is living in Manchester and says she was born there. This must be down to the mistake/laziness of the enumerator as she was very proud of her Manx heritage by all accounts and declares it on all the other censuses.

And Liverpool was the usual first residence of the Manx when they arrived.

OC

Comment

thanks oc...my cousin is adamant she was manx....back to the drawing board...regards...allan

Comment

Perhaps the couple I'm looking at are not the right ones? (Sarah Jenkins says Liverpool again in 1901).

He is a whitesmith both times and they have children:

Margaret and Edward by 1891

plus Annie, John, William, Thomas and Robert by 1901

The 1901 ref is:

RG13; Piece: 3484; Folio: 162; Page: 11

I'm not sure why you couldn't find any Liverpool Births (how complete is Lancs BMD?)

I found these:

Births Dec 1863
                            MARTIN Sarah Ann Liverpool 8b _3

Births Mar 1864
                            MARTIN Sarah Ann Liverpool 8b 243
                            MARTIN Sarah Ann Nichol Liverpool 8b 199

But there is also a Sarah A Martin living in IoM in 1871, the same age!

Obviously someone needs to get the marriage cert to sort this out!
                            Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 12-01-08, 14:16.

Comment

thanks very much merry...i`ve rung my cousin,and he is getting their marriage cert from liverpool register office...i`ll let you know the outcome...regards...allan

Comment

thanks all....merry..that is definitely the marriage...he was a whitesmith.....regards...allan

Comment

Allan, I'm pretty sure that Lancs BMD is nowhere near complete for Liverpool yet. If you want to check its coverage for any particular district there is an option to click on to see coverage. You would be best to look for her birth on the GRO indexes (as Merry already did!).
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

thanks very much kiterunner ..appreciate the advice...regards...allan

Comment

Working...
                                    X