Assize Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assize Records

I was wondering if anyone can tell where I would find Assize records for a trial in 1840.
    If they are held at Kew, or somewhere like that, what info would one need to have before making a visit?

Any info would be appreciated.
    Many thanks & blessings.

Lyn, I think they would be at the local record office for the area.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Found this link in our Wiki which should give you lots of info about assize records:

Research Guide: Assizes - Criminal Trials - Your Archives
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Lyn
        Anything appearing in the assizes would most likely appear in the newspapers too,have you checked the Times Indexes ? I can take a look if you want,just send me the details.

Comment

Thanks Kiterunner......I did look at the index in Wiki, but didn't see that!
          Will check it out now.

Comment

Originally posted by Astro Lady View Post
            Hi Lyn
            Anything appearing in the assizes would most likely appear in the newspapers too,have you checked the Times Indexes ? I can take a look if you want,just send me the details.

Thank you...will Pm you in a minute.
            I really appreciate your offer.

Comment

Quarter sessions records are at county records offices. Assizes records are at Kew. BUT they don't early on give a lot of info, there aren't transcripts for example.
              My gt gt gt uncle's trial papers give the name of the judge, the jury, a list of witnesses and the time of the trial (it only took a few hours in the morning!). You get a better idea of the proceedings from a newspaper report and The Times routinely covered trials (usually near the back of the paper).

BUT it was exciting finding the papers as they are tied in faded pink ribbon folded and stuffed carelessly into a box with all sorts of other stuff. Not indexed.

The National Archives assizes records are all in ASSI series with different numbers for different circuits. You would need to use the top floor reading room.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell.
                I have been looking through the site that Kiterunner gave me....looked last night and got confused. I thought I must be too tired, but it is just as bad this morning.....maybe I am just easy to confuse!!
                Now you come aboard, someone who has done it, and your experience makes it sound much easier! I am sure that my cousin won't be scared off now.
                However, how do you know which file batch to order? Where would I find the right numbers for Central Crim Court & Old Bailey? Are they in chronological order or alphabetically? Do you need to order the records before you arrive?
                Thanks
                Last edited by Lyn A; 11-01-08, 23:13.

Comment

Lyn

It was a while ago I did this and to be honest I can't remember much. I think I used the Kew website to find the right Assi number for Gloucester (it comes under the Oxford Circuit) but I rang Kew up to ask which sequence I needed as it wasn't clear which date(s) were covered in which ASSI section. I will have a look through my notes today to see if I can give you more detail.

I don't know about the Old Bailey, again I'll poke around TNA and see what I can find.
                  As I recall, its all in chronological order (roughly) and there aren't indexes.

Of course if you find a newspaper account in the Times online it'll give you a precise date which will make it easier when you get the box of papers.

As for ordering in advance, no, you don't have to, its just time-saving if you can get to Kew and collect your papers and go. But you can always go to Kew and look pathetic in front of the research desk and they will help you locate what you want. The only problem with this is it takes time and is dependent on how busy they are.

I know Kew sounds scary - and the scale of it is impressive - but once you have a go its brilliant and now they are revamping it will be even better.

I'll post on here again when I've found my notes (which are also not easy to locate!!!)

Comment

Thanks Nell, I appreciate that.
                    It is not me that is going...my cousin is going to London in May and will visit Kew for me, if I can find out exactly how she goes about it all. She is quite a bit older than me, so I don't want to confuse her too much. I know that I would have to know exactly what to do, or I wouldn't do it and I feel that I can't expect to just throw her in at the deep end.

Comment

Lyn

Did you see this on TNA website:

Middlesex was never covered by an assize circuit and the equivalent cases were dealt with by the Old Bailey. The Old Bailey sessions were divided into two parts: the first dealt with London cases, and the second with those relating to Middlesex. Although some Old Bailey sessions material is kept here you should initially begin your search online at The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, London 1674 to 1834 and the Corporation of London Records Office or the London Metropolitan Archives(1).

from: The National Archives | Research, education and online exhibitions | Research guides | In-depth learning guides | Local history | The law
                      can you provide any details - do you know the trial was in 1840, did you find any info on The Times online? Got a name of the defendant?

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                        Lyn

Did you see this on TNA website:

Middlesex was never covered by an assize circuit and the equivalent cases were dealt with by the Old Bailey. The Old Bailey sessions were divided into two parts: the first dealt with London cases, and the second with those relating to Middlesex. Although some Old Bailey sessions material is kept here you should initially begin your search online at The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, London 1674 to 1834 and the Corporation of London Records Office or the London Metropolitan Archives(1).

from: The National Archives | Research, education and online exhibitions | Research guides | In-depth learning guides | Local history | The law
                        can you provide any details - do you know the trial was in 1840, did you find any info on The Times online? Got a name of the defendant?

Yes, saw the website...that's the one that got me more & more confused.

By the time I read & reread several times and figured out what they were saying about the Newgate Calendars (he was in Newgate before they sent him to Parkhurst), then the Old Bailey Trials and the the Central Criminal Court ('cos I don't know if 2/- worth of Larcency was considered serious enough for Old Bailey), then Depositions, then Indictments and then to Assizes I was unsure what it was I needed. Then the Assizes bit didn't seem to say what records I needed, or if it did, my mind was too far gone to register it.

I was told that if I got the Assizes, it would give me all the info....now after what you said, I am unsure again.

Yes, I have been looking at the Old bailey site for years now and they only go to 1834....they are transcibing the rest and it is all supposed to be online, well they said this year, but if you look at their site, they say they are halfway through the transcriptions...so could be years away. I don't know why they can't add the transciptions as they go!! So frustrating.

His name was Isaac Eggerton (or Eggenton, Eggington, Eglingtin or dozens of other configurations!!) He appeared to be Eggenton on the 1841 census, was Eggerton on the passenger list and used that name on documents when first in NZ, but later signed documents as Eggenton or Eggerton as the whim took him. His grandchildren all seemed to settle on Eggenton in the end.

This is what we have gleaned from documents this end.....

"He was committed to appear at the Central Criminal Court (the Old Bailey) on 06/04/1840 accused of Larceny, found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation. Then aged 13 he had been employed as a Coach Harness Plater. He was held temporarily at Newgate Prison and on 25/05/1840 transferred to Parkhurst Prison, where his Gaoler’s Report stated he had been ‘In House of Correction previous’, was single and could read and write."

He was eventually transported to New Zealand aboard the "Mandarin" on 21/06/1843 as a Free Immigrant, classified trade being Cooper and Shoemaker, and disembarked at Auckland on 16/10/1843.

He was my gg-grandfather.

Comment

Sorry...forgot to say that I have tried to search the Times, and found nothing, but then I get very confused there, too.

AstroLady was going to look for me.

Comment

Lyn

I've tried the Times online and Proceedings of the OB sites but got muddled too.
                            However, this

says the Old Bailey Sessions Papers (OBSP) are at the Guildhall for the dates you want.
                            Not sure how easy these would be to use - as you have a date probably fairly simple. The Guildhall Library is a beautiful building and I have found the staff there very enthusiastic and helpful.

Perhaps you could contact them to clarify? Contact details should be on the link I've given.

Comment

Thanks Nell, will have a look.

Comment

Looks like Guild Hall could be worth a visit, too!
                                Thanks.

Comment

It's a lovely building and the City of London is a magical place. I just love it to bits! Round every corner there's a famous old church or ruins of a famous old church, interesting plaques, little parks and green spaces.

Comment

Shirrup!! I already want to go...but can't afford it!! Don't make it any harder! LOL!!

Comment

Did you find your way to this page?
                                      Name Search - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey

Or this one with more flexibility:
                                      Advanced Search - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey

Christine
                                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine

These Proceedings only go up to 1834 - Lyn is wanting 1840.

Comment

Working...
                                        X