Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Assize Records

Lyn

Did you see this on TNA website:

Middlesex was never covered by an assize circuit and the equivalent cases were dealt with by the Old Bailey. The Old Bailey sessions were divided into two parts: the first dealt with London cases, and the second with those relating to Middlesex. Although some Old Bailey sessions material is kept here you should initially begin your search online at The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, London 1674 to 1834 and the Corporation of London Records Office or the London Metropolitan Archives(1).

from: The National Archives | Research, education and online exhibitions | Research guides | In-depth learning guides | Local history | The law
    can you provide any details - do you know the trial was in 1840, did you find any info on The Times online? Got a name of the defendant?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Quote Originally Posted by Little Nell View Post
    Lyn

Did you see this on TNA website:

Middlesex was never covered by an assize circuit and the equivalent cases were dealt with by the Old Bailey. The Old Bailey sessions were divided into two parts: the first dealt with London cases, and the second with those relating to Middlesex. Although some Old Bailey sessions material is kept here you should initially begin your search online at The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, London 1674 to 1834 and the Corporation of London Records Office or the London Metropolitan Archives(1).

from: The National Archives | Research, education and online exhibitions | Research guides | In-depth learning guides | Local history | The law
    can you provide any details - do you know the trial was in 1840, did you find any info on The Times online? Got a name of the defendant?

Yes, saw the website...that's the one that got me more & more confused.

By the time I read & reread several times and figured out what they were saying about the Newgate Calendars (he was in Newgate before they sent him to Parkhurst), then the Old Bailey Trials and the the Central Criminal Court ('cos I don't know if 2/- worth of Larcency was considered serious enough for Old Bailey), then Depositions, then Indictments and then to Assizes I was unsure what it was I needed. Then the Assizes bit didn't seem to say what records I needed, or if it did, my mind was too far gone to register it.

I was told that if I got the Assizes, it would give me all the info....now after what you said, I am unsure again.

Yes, I have been looking at the Old bailey site for years now and they only go to 1834....they are transcibing the rest and it is all supposed to be online, well they said this year, but if you look at their site, they say they are halfway through the transcriptions...so could be years away. I don't know why they can't add the transciptions as they go!! So frustrating.

His name was Isaac Eggerton (or Eggenton, Eggington, Eglingtin or dozens of other configurations!!) He appeared to be Eggenton on the 1841 census, was Eggerton on the passenger list and used that name on documents when first in NZ, but later signed documents as Eggenton or Eggerton as the whim took him. His grandchildren all seemed to settle on Eggenton in the end.

This is what we have gleaned from documents this end.....

"He was committed to appear at the Central Criminal Court (the Old Bailey) on 06/04/1840 accused of Larceny, found guilty and sentenced to 7 years transportation. Then aged 13 he had been employed as a Coach Harness Plater. He was held temporarily at Newgate Prison and on 25/05/1840 transferred to Parkhurst Prison, where his Gaoler’s Report stated he had been ‘In House of Correction previous’, was single and could read and write."

He was eventually transported to New Zealand aboard the "Mandarin" on 21/06/1843 as a Free Immigrant, classified trade being Cooper and Shoemaker, and disembarked at Auckland on 16/10/1843.

He was my gg-grandfather.

Sorry...forgot to say that I have tried to search the Times, and found nothing, but then I get very confused there, too.

AstroLady was going to look for me.

Lyn

I've tried the Times online and Proceedings of the OB sites but got muddled too.
    However, this
    http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/nr/rd...ionspapers.pdf

says the Old Bailey Sessions Papers (OBSP) are at the Guildhall for the dates you want.
    Not sure how easy these would be to use - as you have a date probably fairly simple. The Guildhall Library is a beautiful building and I have found the staff there very enthusiastic and helpful.

Perhaps you could contact them to clarify? Contact details should be on the link I've given.

Thanks Nell, will have a look.

Looks like Guild Hall could be worth a visit, too!
    Thanks.

It's a lovely building and the City of London is a magical place. I just love it to bits! Round every corner there's a famous old church or ruins of a famous old church, interesting plaques, little parks and green spaces.

Shirrup!! I already want to go...but can't afford it!! Don't make it any harder! LOL!!

Did you find your way to this page?
    Name Search - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey

Or this one with more flexibility:
    Advanced Search - The Proceedings of the Old Bailey

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Christine

These Proceedings only go up to 1834 - Lyn is wanting 1840.