Irish Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Census

I hope the following information taken from the IHGS Newsletter may be of interest to some.

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

At long last the Irish census returns for 1901 and 1911 are starting to come online. The National Archives of Ireland, in partnership with Library and Archives for Canada, has started to digitise the 1901 and 1911 censuses which are, of course, the only surviving censuses for Ireland. Two indexes will be created: a topographical index based on each townland/street within a District Electoral Division, and a nominal index to every individual. Both indexes will link to the digitised census images. This is a large project and data will be released in phases. The first phase was launched at the end of 2007 and means that the 1911 census returns for Dublin City and county are now available. The 1911 census is being released first as these returns are in better condition. Apart from the usual census details, you will also find that the census of 1901 records the individual’s ability to read or write and to speak the Irish language and that the 1911 census indicates how long a married woman has been married, and how many of her children were born alive, and the number who are still living. One notable difference between this site and the numerous sites offering the English, Welsh and Scottish censuses is that it is totally free to use. Yes, even if you wish to download one of the beautifully vivid images of the census return, you pay nothing. The next county to be released will be Kerry and details of release order (but no specific dates) can be found on the website under future plans.
    Dawn

Brilliant!!!! I shall be itching to get the search going.

Sunny Rosy

Comment

Wow this is a fantastic site.... just wish I had somebody to search for in Dublin.... or anywhere else once they start adding them :D

It is a great site for people out there looking up people in Dublin in 1911.

Just had to post on this thread to bump it u[ so others may see it
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Good idea to bump it up Shaz. I haven't got any Irish Ancestors but thought it would be useful for others and its free!
        Dawn

Comment

seen it now shaz hen!!! lol thanks xx
          Jilly "keeping the grin gear working" McMad

http://JillysMcMadHouse.synthasite.com

Comment

Found neighbours rellies - she was delighted.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
            X