Naming patterns??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming patterns??

I'm looking at this really annoying Scots couple!

They married in 1864 in England (I don't want to get the cert)

They died in England.

They lived in Scotland in between, but the husband was at sea every time there was a census. He only came home after they moved to Poplar and so doesn't need to say exactly where he was born (in Scotland).

Hence I cannot find him in Scotland before he married, as I don't know his parents or where he lived.............So, I wondered about those bloomin' naming patterns everyone is always on about! I wondered if it's likely one of his childrens middle names is his mum's maiden name? And if so, which one might it be?

Here are their names:

James Jamieson and his wife, Janet, formerly Joss

had the following children (in this order):

Margaret Clark Jamieson
    Barbara Tasker Jamieson
    James Jamieson
    John Joss Jamieson
    George Copland Jamieson

Any ideas???

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
    I'm looking at this really annoying Scots couple!

They married in 1864 in England (I don't want to get the cert)

They died in England.

They lived in Scotland in between, but the husband was at sea every time there was a census. He only came home after they moved to Poplar and so doesn't need to say exactly where he was born (in Scotland).

Hence I cannot find him in Scotland before he married, as I don't know his parents or where he lived.............So, I wondered about those bloomin' naming patterns everyone is always on about! I wondered if it's likely one of his childrens middle names is his mum's maiden name? And if so, which one might it be?

Here are their names:

James Jamieson and his wife, Janet, formerly Joss

had the following children (in this order):

Margaret Clark Jamieson
    Barbara Tasker Jamieson
    James Jamieson
    John Joss Jamieson
    George Copland Jamieson

Any ideas???

Well if they followed the pattern (he may not have followed to the letter) and if these are the only children born in exactly that order I would have gone with Barbara Tasker.

Second Daughter named after the father's mother
    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thanks Shaz!! I will have a little dig!

Comment

Merry... is the Tasker definitely Tasker??

Sorry I mean did you get Tasker from IGI or do you know fact that its Tasker... if you know what I mean :D

Comment

Tasker was on her SP birth entry and on her English marriage cert.

Comment

Yes, my guess would be that his parents were James Jamieson and Barbara Tasker, and hers were John Joss and Margaret Clark. But most of the Scots in my tree didn't put the mother's maiden name in at all, only first names, so I don't think this middle name thing is exactly the traditional Scots naming pattern. But that's what I would guess, anyway.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Well John Joss' wife was called Ann, but I don't know she was the mother of Janet Joss (ie she was just on the census as wife of John)

Comment

My (maternal direct line) Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandmother, GG Grandmother and GGG Grandmother. All first born daughters all have their maternal Grandmothers names with maiden surname as their middle names. Grandmother actually has her Grandmothers christian name, middle name and maiden surname before her surname.

GGG Grandmother was second born so got her fathers mothers name

I was first born daughter and mum broke the chain. :D

My lot all seemed to follow the pattern from way back right down to my parents and their siblings.

Comment

Working...
                X