What are the badges??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooooooo ... Bob, this is getting interesting

I have another small pic which is very definitely grandad in uniform but looking a little older .... it's a real mess .... stuck together with sellotape on the back and I can't scan it/do anything with it tonight.

He has another piece of white cord coming from his left pocket and it looks as if he has one stripe towards the bottom of his left sleeve

Will put it on here tomorrow ....

Thank you both so much

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

here's the other one of grandad ... enlarged HUGELY :D and with the major creases removed.
      If anyone can tell me anything about it .... age, rank etc. that would be great.
      All I can say is that it was taken in the back garden of the house where he was brought up.

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

And just one more .... this would have been taken in 1923
        He looks a bit strange, but I'd say he's older than in the first pic. .... so I think Don's correct with the date of that

Comment

Gooooooooood morning Rachel.

These last two photograpghs throw up more clues as to his army days and even tells you in which regiment he served in. Firstly the white lanyard. The arm was passed through the loop made by the lanyard and under the shoulder tab (which was then fastened over it) as I have said before this white lanyard had a service Jack knife attached (via white cording) and the end of this cording and knife were placed in the soldiers left breast pocket along with his Army Service Pay Book. The white chevron on the lower left sleeves denotes a length of service of good conduct, somewhere between two and a half to three and half years good conduct (or as some would say "never being caught") depending from which book/web site the information comes from. Because of this G/C chevron these pictures post date the first that you put up. Now for his regiment. On the shoulder tab of the last photograph can clearly be seen the brass letters RGA this stands for Royal Garrison Artillary (his regiment). What was his name as a search on the national archives website may produce his medal index card which you can download for the costly sum of £3.50.

don.

Comment

Hello again,

I was just wondering if there is any way I can access my grandfathers army records and papers don't mind paying for them but where would I start?

Comment

Many thanks Don .... I have his 3 WW2 medals ... will pm you

On further thought ... I've remembered that I have a letter (1st May 1918) written by gt gran and she mentions that grandad was at work .... so it doesn't sound as if he'd have had time to serve in WW1 ...
              He would have been just 15 years of age when the war ended.

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 09-01-08, 13:56.

Comment

Good morning Kelly,

You could try ancestry as they have British army records on their site, this being the ones that are known as "the burnt records" you may be lucky to find your grandfather's records amongst them but bear in mind some of these records are missing due to enemy action in the 2nd ww. It can be a bit of a bind to search, more so if you have a common name. But, not wanting to get your hopes up, if you were successful in finding the records for him/them then the information provided can be very good. Another source is the medal card index held at Kew. These can be accessed on the internet at The National Archives of the United Kingdom
                you will need to go to the section entitled "1st ww campaign medals" and then place the details that you have with regards to your grandfather's in the search area's and hopefully you may be successfull. If you have an army service number this will help you in the case of common surnames. Once found and taking it to be the correct one that you want you can then obtain an imagine of the card for £3.50 via that site. Unlike the "burnt records" there will be no personal details on the card other than name, rank, number, etc, awards given, and at times the theatre of war that the named soldier served in.
                hope this helps

don

Comment

Gosh ! ... my previous pic (post no. 26) grandad's wearing a bandolier .... it's taken this long for it to sink in ...
                  I thought it was some kind of stripey thing made of cloth :D

Comment

morning Rachel,

Looking back over the postings that you have put up it now strikes me that the date that you have (1923) would mean that the first photograph would have been taken c1920/21 being that a good conduct chevron (or to give it its proper title Good-Conduct Badge) was awarded after two to two and a half years of good conduct. It would also fit with the uniform not showing any collar dogs (small regimental badges on the collar) as these did not come into being until 1924 when alterations were made to the British army uniform. If you post a picture of his medals up I maybe able to tell you something about them to add to your files.

don

Comment

Afternoon Don
                      Does that mean that he was in the army doing his National Service or would that have only lasted 2 years ?

I only remember him talking about the war twice (very briefly) and I've no idea which war.
                      He mentioned horses and chains .... and that they were brutes which had to be caught every morning (well that's how I remember it !) and I always assumed it was WW1.
                      Far more interesting to a small child, was that he saw a soldier get his head blown off and he carried on walking another 3 paces ! ! ! LUVVLY !
                      I'm sure he said the chap was carrying a canon ball or something similar, but that could well be the way it stuck in my head at the time.

Re the 3 medals .... I googled images and found them ... 39-45 Star, Defence medal and the War medal ...

Google Image Result for http://collectables.maltaexpo.com/filebank/imagebank/Medals%20Trio.jpg

Grandad's are in their original cardboard box .... maybe I should photograph that instead of the medals ?

Comment

National Service was introduced after the 2nd World War. Conscription of men to serve in the armed forces was first introduced in 1916 and lasted til the end of that conflict so I would imagine that your granddad joined voluntary, unless of course he was called up at the tale end of the conscription period and stayed on (which to me is doubtful). The evidence of a good-conduct badge shows that he had been in the army for a period of at least two years to have been intitled to be awarded it.

The medals that you have identified were, as you know, awarded to service personnel who served their country during the 39-45 war but are you aware that the colours on the medal ribbon also have their own meanings?

The 1939-1945 Star was awarded to personnel who had completed six months service in specified operational commands overseas between 3rd September 1939 and the 2nd September 1945. The ribbon colours are equal stripes of dark blue, red and light blue and represent the Royal Navy, Army, and Royal Air Force respectively.

The Defence Medal was awarded to personnel for three years service at home or six months service overseas in territories which were subjected to air attacks or otherwise closely threatened. The ribbon colours are two broad bands of green which are superimposed by a narrow strip of black and has a wide orange band in the centre. The green represents this green and pleasant land, the black is for the black-out whilst the orange is for the fire-bombing that occurred.

The War Medal was issued to all full time personnel of the armed forces where ever they served as long as they had served for at least 28 days between 3rd September 1939 and 2nd September 1945. The ribbon colours of red, blue and white represent the colours of the Union Jack.

don

Comment

Originally posted by don.t View Post
                          The green represents this green and pleasant land, the black is for the black-out whilst the orange is for the fire-bombing that occurred.
                          Goodness me ... that's something to think about ...
                          I've always wondered about the vibrant green colour in particular

Comment

Hello Don, Bob and anyone else who can help

I have 2 questions about my late father's WW2 service medals.

We have 3 medals on their correct ribbons (War medal, 1939-49 Star, The France and Germany Star) + 2 spare ribbons for both Stars and there is another ribbon.

This has a wide black band in the centre and either side a thin white band and an thin orange band (outer edges). I've found one on google images which looks like it .... War Merit ?

(1) Can you tell me what this was for ... Ooooer ... it's not German is it ? :D in which case it's not his !

(2) If it's dad's, is there any way mum could apply for it, or find out if there are any others he was entitled to ?

Comment

Hi Rachel,

It is not a campaign ribbon combination that I easily recognise but after looking it up in one of my books I have found a medal ribbon that might be the correct one. The Lifesaving Medal of the Order of St John has the same colour combination (the medal ribbon changed in 1954 to the colours that you mention) and the medal is awarded for gallantry in saving life.

don

Comment

Thank you Don
                                I think it must be German !

I've unearthed some correspondence re his entitlement to medals .... these are as clear as mud.

One says he's entitled to the Defence Medal (he does not have this) others say he did not qualify because because his length of service was less than 3 years.

It says he served for 2 years and 137 days + 41 days in NWE.
                                However, I'm now looking at his 'Statement of Service'

Enlisted ... 12-2-42 ...... Granted ws/Sgt ... 21-6-45 ...
                                Isn't that more than 3 years ?

(I may well have lost the plot)

Comment

The address and details on how to apply for campaign medals can be found on the veterans agency site at
                                  Medals - Claiming for campaign medals

don

Comment

Many thanks Don.... might as well give it a go and see if they can unravel it

Comment

I think Don.t should have his own section on FamilyTreeForum.... "Ask Don.t".... he comes up trumps every time!
                                      Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Working...
                                      X