Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scottish Social History Q

Shaz

Mine either stayed put for centuries, or moved everytime there was a new moon.

My Scottish lot were nearly all connected with the sea in some way, so I can understand their geographical movements easily - they went where the work was (Aberdeen) and some of them went from Nigg in the highlands, to Nigg in Aberdeen, just to confuse me further, of course.

I only started the Scottish side last New Year's day - 2007, that is, and thanks to the wonderful Woody and others, made astonishing progress - five generations in 6 days! But I floundered with searching the censuses on SP, wasted a lot of money and gave up for a while.

But now I have Ancestry, I've got cleverer - I look for them on there, and use SP to search for the gaps, which is working so far - I can hone in far better on SP with some facts behind me.

OC

OC.........Daniel and Donald are the same name in Scotland and completely interchangeable.

There is a list od SP (I think)....I'll check.

Yep......Scotlands People "Help and other Resources" at the top.

Harry's Mum

Thankyou for that!

*makes note to self: when all else fails, read the instructions*

OC

While we are on the subject of Scottish names, perhaps someone can help me with the following:

My grandmother had two sisters: Catherine Wishart Johnston, born 7th October 1897, and "Annie".

I haven't been able to find a birth registration for Annie (parents Robert Johnston and Isabella, nee Richardson).

When Isabella Johnston died in 1939 the informant was "Anne Drever".

However, on the 1901 census the family consists of:
    Robert Johnstone (sic) 39
    Isabella Johnstone 35
    Mary I Johnstone (my grandmother) 4
    David Johnston (brother of Robert) 39 and
    ROBINA JOHNSTONE Aged 2

(Catherine Wishart Johnston was in hospital)

Was Robina Annie? Noone ever mentioned an Annie - my father and my aunt talked about Catherine, as she died young from TB, and mentioned "Annie" but no details.

Is Robina one of those Scottish names that can have other forms?
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Quote Originally Posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
    Harry's Mum

Thankyou for that!

*makes note to self: when all else fails, read the instructions*

OC

Gee I didn't. In all the time I've used SP, I didn't even know that was there. Found it by googling "interhangebale Scottish names" LOL.

Update:

Hurray, hurray! Have now found baptism of my Daniel as Donald, and loads of sibs.

Mother has been transcribed as Grisel, or Girsal, which I now assume is interchangeable with Grace, lol. Right surname for her.

And, on another line in Scotland, have received a reply to a message I sent off on Sunday, to someone who left a message on Rootsweb two years ago. We are related - my 3 x GGF is her 2 x GGF, although we are from different marriages. She has loads of forward info which she is sending me.

All in all, a good research day today!

OC

Avatar - Frank sadly no longer with us 21/9/2013
    Yes I've got a born Donald and baptised as Donald marrying twice as Daniel and dying as Daniel.

However on ancestry 1851 census he's David!!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

JBee

Yes, my Daniel is David too, but I am very used to that particular mistranscription - very common in England. The words Daniel and David are virtually indistinguishable in curly writing, especially if they sloppily run the e close to the final l - looks like a d then.

OC