• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bristol orphanage query

Was wondering is it possible to find childrens names listed on 1891 census
    for an orphanage at 4 Ashley Down bristol
    If so can someone please lookup census for me , will pm details
    thanks Kym

Jebbett, Jebson, Goodman, White, Brown, Savory, Salisbury, Wheway, Hastings,
    Lenton, Perkins, Croshaw, Mallabone, Downey, Ring, Bergen, McConkey, Murphy.
    ( avatar Mum and Dad )

can you post the name here please?

do you know for a fact they were there?
    Jess

Comment

That's the Muller Orphanage at Ashley Down. Very famous!! I think it catered for people who could afford to pay a sum to have their children (or obviously children in their family who were orphans) rather than for the poor. Hence children from all over the place can be found there.

On the 1891 census the five orphanages (don't know if that is five buildings or five wings, or more likely just the total inmates split into five groups to make the enumerators job easier!) are recorded under "The United Parishes of St James and St Paul" as five separate enumeration districts. (That's all under Gloucestershire)

There are roughly 1700 people living at the Muller Orphanage in 1891 (inc the staff)
      Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 07-01-08, 12:56.

Comment

This may help

George Müller Orphanage Museum - Bristol City Guide venues & listings

Comment

Oh I am glad I saw this if it is the orphanage that Trish and Merry has named - We went there for a friend from Genes (its about 5 mins from us) - they were very very helpful and let us go there and see a complete file free (they do charge if they look themselves) they let us take a laptop and copy all the notes we werent allowed to photo copy although they would do so and there would be a charge .
          We found out so very much from the file - please feel free to pm me if you want any more details

Comment

The orphanage is now part of Bristol technical college. I met my husband there when we were both sent on a physics course from work. The orphanage has a very good web site with lots of information. George Muller was German and a firm believer in a good education. He tried to train the children until they were fourteen which was more schooling than most other children had at the time.
            Anne

Comment

Very interested to read this, as my gt grandfather John David Robert Smoothy's 2nd wife Marian Augusta Pitney and her sister Laura Beatrice were here in 1881. Marian's mother died the year after her birth and their father 2 years after that.

I didn't know it was a well-to-do place, how interesting. Poor Marian ended her days in an almshouse and left her few possessions to her dead husband's daughter (my grandmother) and niece.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Do you know who might have paid, Nell??

Or coud the parents have left a little money?

Actually, I'm wondering now how I know about the Muller orphanage being for those with a little cash? (not the really rich).

I have no idea!! Maybe worth checking out as maybe I'm wrong??

Comment

the person who we traced there came from a very poor family - it was a very sad story - there were basically letters begging them to take the child as they had no money

Comment

Merry

Since Marian is staying with her uncle in 1891, I am guessing perhaps he did. Both her uncle and her father (who were brothers) were tailors, so I imagine they weren't desperately poor.

Marian isn't a direct ancestor, or I'd have got certs to see what her parents died of & chased up the orphanage records.

Comment

It may not apply in this case, but many Victorian fathers paid a small sum weekly to an orphanage as a sort of insurance in case they died and their widow and children were left destitute.

Blue Coats worked on this principle, and my father paid an annual sum to the Blue Coats, as did his father before him, and HIS father before him!

It was both a charitable donation, and a way of ensuring a place at the orphanage should your children ever need it.

An orphan, until very recently, was a child whose FATHER had died, not necessarily one where both parents had died.

OC

Comment

OC

Thanks, as always for your contribution.

I think Marian had rather a sad life. Lost both parents so young, her brother died whilst still a young man and her sister never married. She and my great-grandfather never had any children, and he only had one child (my lovely grannie) before his first wife died.
                        On the other hand, she seems to have put a spanner in the works when my grannie and grandfather were planning to marry, she didn't think he was good enough for her (and in some ways I think she was right!).

My mother remembers dutiful, dull visits to her when she lived in the almshouse.

Comment

Hi sorry back again now
                          the names I am looking for are
                          William H Mallabone b 1881
                          Elenor Mallabone
                          Ada Mallabone
                          all born in chilvers Coton area

Thanks will have alook at website mentioned too

Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Eleanor in 1891
                            Class: RG12; Piece: 1974; Folio 119; Page 7; GSU roll: 6097084.

at Mullers Orphan House No 5
                            ------------------------
                            There is a william age 9
                            Mullers Orphan House No 4 ( all boys)

RG12; Piece: 1974; Folio 107; Page 7; GSU roll: 6097084.
                            ----------------------------------

cant see Ada
                            Last edited by Jessbowbag; 08-01-08, 05:28.
                            Jess

Comment

thanks Jess
                              Possible Ada might be listed under surname Howe instead of Mallabone , Howe was her mums maiden name.

could you pm census
                              thanks Jebbo

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

ada Howe (quite a bit older?) with an Aunt

Class: RG12; Piece: 2444; Folio 112; Page 34; GSU roll: 6097554.
                                Jess

Comment

Hi Jess
                                  Big thankyou appreciate your help , you have helped sort out another family mystery

Jebbo;)

( avatar Mum and Dad )

Comment

Working...
                                  X