Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1881 Manchester mistranscription?

RG 11 4019 103 59

Can someone please look at the Tyarbinowski family I don't think that is the right name as I can't find them anywhere else.
    PAT

What dreadful handwriting!

If you look at the brother ¡n law Richard Weaver in 1871 you can see him with nieces and nephews transcribed as Lyarhurock
    RG10; Piece: 3994; Folio: 24; Page: 42
    A couple of these names match up with the 1881 family - although the image looks as if the name starts with S rather than L.
    Elaine

Comment

and the same family in 1861
      RG9; Piece: 2901; Folio: 94; Page: 23
      surname Zarbenowsky
      Elaine

Comment

Richard's wife is described as Olivia White SORBY in the (FreeBMD) GRO index: 1861 q1 Manchester 8d-334

Christine

(The index image looks like that, too.)
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-01-08, 14:33.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

"Lyarhurock" could as easily be "Syarburock"
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Presumably, the name is a transliterated Russian-style name, so they could spell it however they thought it sounded.

"Sorby" is, presumably, a let's-make-it-easy-for-the-English version! - Just using the first couple of syllables.

Christine

Comment

On reflection, the Sorby family is probably linked chainwise? Richard is brother of Caroline, Edward's late wife (b Eccles - per 1861), and Richard's wife is the Sorby.

Altho', if this is a Jewish community (which the links with Prussia, plus the inclusion of some names makes likely) then there could easily be married cousins here, in which case my original thought may not have been so wide of the mark.

Christine

Comment

Sorry I disappeared grandsons arrived just as I pressed submit
                PAT

Comment

I have the Weavers and Sorbys just trying so find the connection
                  PAT

Comment

Update

Herrman Edward Lewis Szarbinowski married Caroline Sorby Manchester 1855
                    PAT

Comment

If you can get to the M/cr records office, this shows up on LancashireBMD (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk):

Lancashire Marriage indexes for the years: 1855
                      Surname Forename(s) Surname Forename(s) Church / Register Office Registers At Reference
                      SORBY Caroline SZARBINOWSKI Herrman E L Manchester Cathedral Manchester CATH/107/51

So the relevant registers are those of the Cathedral.

Christine

Comment

Incidentally - I think Walter and Lewis are the same child (1861 v 1871)

(The Lewis is presumably for his father)

Christine

Comment

I am descended from the Sorby side of the Szarbinowski family. Working things out is difficult because no one could spell the name and the German fore names were "played with" - too foreign, too much trouble. I don't know yet what brought the Szarbinowskis to Manchester, but Caroline was brought by her her parents from Nottinghamshire, where her father began parctice as a rural doctor. Original they were from a "dynasty" in Sheffield going back to the first Master Cutler in 1624 and, indeed, right back to William the Conqueror and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                          X