No announcement yet.

2008 - just 4 more years till we can see the 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This makes me feel old as well. One of my grandftathers was born in 1879 and so made it on to the 1881 census.
    Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Simon in Bucks View Post
      Do ScotlandPeople also have access to all the other Census records ?
      Scotland Online and Scotlands People are two different websites.

Scotlands People does already have the other census' from 1841 through to 1901 but only for Scotland. Not for England and Wales.
      With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Actually Zoe, that column can raise more puzzles. On the census page I have it says they had 5 children and 4 living, one died. No mention though of the sex or name of the one who died, so I'm no wiser.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Personally I'm pleased it won't be available on ancestry.

If it is available on ancestry on day one it would be a nightmare. If the demand is like 1901 then ancestry would be overloaded for days/weeks/months and we'd have that little boy with the noose endlessly.

At least with it being separate if you manage to get on, find who you want without a struggle and it then throws up a zillion questions you can toddle off to ancestry and look into any puzzles.

Come on - what would you do with yourselves for months if ancestry was so overloaded it died and it took as long to solve it as the 1901 site did.
          Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Oh, and don't forget they still lied. It says they had been married for 11 years but I have the wife on 1901 unmarried but with the first baby
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

I'm thinking of my Linksons though where missing children might be easier to pinpoint than your Smiths.

My Nan was a Webb so I stand no chance of finding the kids born between 1901 and 1912 without the census.
              Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by BigShaz McCreadie View Post
                Scotland Online and Scotlands People are two different websites.

Scotlands People does already have the other census' from 1841 through to 1901 but only for Scotland. Not for England and Wales.

So I'd only be subscribing to Scotland's People for access to English and Welsh Census 1911 records.................with absolutely no way of viewing pre-1911 Census details from England or Wales ?

Comment

So I'd only be subscribing to Scotland's People for access to English and Welsh Census 1911 records.................with absolutely no way of viewing pre-1911 Census details from England or Wales ?

I wasn't aware that the 1911 census for England and Wales was going on Scotlands People. :D

I know that Scotland Online are in Partnership with the National Archives with regards the digitilisation of the 1911 census but like I say Scotland Online and Scotlands people are two totally different websites.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                    Thanks for the link Zoe - I'm, a bit disappointed that ScotlandsPeople got the 1911 census - as an Ancestry member I'm going to have to pay out even more money to view it :(
                    BigShaz - this is why I'm mentioning Scotlands People.

So looks like I'll need 2 subscriptions then - Ancestry for 1841 - 1901 & Scotlands People for 1911 :(

Comment

I imagine Ancestry would have enough financial clout to get access to 1911, but we'll have to wait and see.
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

So looks like I'll need 2 subscriptions then - Ancestry for 1841 - 1901 & Scotlands People for 1911 :(

But if you had scottish rellies you would anyway (to get access to the bmd and OPC's - as well as the census).

But with Scotlands People you don't subscribe in the same way as you would to Ancestry - you buy credits (minimum £6) but it is relatively cheap (I thik) to view records on this particular site.

Comment

BigShaz - this is why I'm mentioning Scotlands People.

I think it was a misunderstanding on Velma's part too Simon
                          Here is the link again incase you didn't click on it yourself when it was posted.

News | The National Archives announces its partner in digitising the 1911 census

Now tell me? Can you see Scotland's People website mentioned anywhere?

Comment

Nice to know that if your ancestors are mistranscribed you only have 18 million images to look through!
                            ~ with love from Little Nell~
                            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                              Nice to know that if your ancestors are mistranscribed you only have 18 million images to look through!
                              Oh surely there will be less cases of names being mistranscribed.
                              There has to be.... maybe just the odd letter here and there :D

Comment

Sorry guys to confuse :o

Scotland People/Scotland Online....it's all the same to me being a Southerner :D :D

***ducks***

What I was trying to say is that I'm going to be a little bit cross after paying out for my yearly Ancestry subscription, if I can't access the 1911 census through them and have to subscribe elsewhere and therefore have to pay out even more money in doing so :(

Comment

Well, by the time it's available your ancestry sub might be expired anyway, mightn't it? But I'm sure ancestry will get it eventually, just maybe a bit later.

As for Scotland Online / Scotland's People, can anyone explain what all the stuff referred to here is if it is not the content of Scotland's People?

Dr Richard Callison of Scotland Online, said:

"The 1911 census records will provide a mine of important historical information and I´m delighted that The National Archives has chosen to work with Scotland Online on this momentous project. We have a strong track record in the field of genealogy, having worked in partnership with the General Register Office for Scotland since 2002 to publish almost 50 million pages of Scottish historical records, all of which are now available to view online."

In any case, I would expect the 1911 census will initially be on a separate website that you buy pay-as-you-go credits for, similar to the 1901 census site. Wouldn't you? I can't imagine the same credits being used for Scotland's People and the England / Wales 1911 census; it would seem pointless and they would just confuse people if they did try to do it like that.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This is what it says at the bottom of Scotland's People's home page:

A partnership between General Register Office for Scotland, the National Archives of Scotland and the Court of the Lord Lyon enabled by Scotland Online.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                      This is what it says at the bottom of Scotland's People's home page:

A partnership between General Register Office for Scotland, the National Archives of Scotland and the Court of the Lord Lyon enabled by Scotland Online.
                                      Yes the work done by Scotland Online has enabled Scotlands people to offer the images that it offers. Scotland online are doing the work in partnership with GROS who pass on the images (and indexes) to Scotlands People.
                                      If GROS don't pass on images to Scotlands People they can be searched for in Scotlands People Indexes and then ordered through the site.

However you aren't ordering from Scotlands People, the link to order an image goes directly to GROS who are responsible for sending the image out.

According to this site.... Scotland Online seem to be better at this

Society of Genealogists - Latest News

Scotland Online currently provides digital access to Scottish birth, marriage and death records, parish registers and censuses for the GRO Scotland. The National Archives assures the Society of Genealogists that it has learnt lessons from the launch of previous censuses and that with its track record Scotland Online will be able to avoid the technical problems that beset the launch of the 1901 census in 2002, and will ensure a service that will be robust and sufficient to meet demand.

I find it hard to believe that Scotlands People would put census information for England & Wales on its site.
                                      The 1901census online site is in association with the National Archives so no doubt they will also have the 1911 census.

Comment

Shaz, I agree that it is very unlikely that England and Wales 1911 will be on the Scotland's People website, but there are quite a few websites that are in association with the National Archives, so it doesn't necessarily follow that the 1911 will be on the 1901 site - it may well have one all to itself.
                                        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
                                          I will finally be able to see ALL my great grandparents on a census :D

3 of them were born after 1901. (1904, 1907 and 1910)
                                          My goodness Tom - you do know how to make somebody feel old - my father was born in 1904 and my grandmother in 1905.
                                          Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
                                          X