No announcement yet.

2008 - just 4 more years till we can see the 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well that news has made me really happy Is that for definate that it will be released early?
    Rosi

We are the famous CFC

Comment

News | The National Archives announces its partner in digitising the 1911 census
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
        Rosi

In fact, the only information that will be suppressed is the column for disability!

(I believe this column is suppressed if you apply for a 1911 census look up at the moment)

I am wondering how this will affect ME - my grandmother was born profoundly deaf and was at a school for the Deaf - will all the people in the school be suppressed? If not, it will rather give the game away, won't it!

OC
        Looking at the 1911 Census sheet that I got, the whole column at the end of the sheet is blanked off. So you don't know 'who might have what'.

Comment

By 2012, I would imagine that the last column will be open to view.

Not sure about other people, but the release of the 1911 Census is a bit like the next episode of a soap opera to me.............you see what's happened, who's with who etc etc

Thinking it through, the Census releases won't bother me at all. I know that some of you will be able to see your parents on the 1911 Census - but I can see the 1921 Census as well, without really knowing my 'immediate family' that will show up. Apart from two of my Grandparents.

As there is no 1931 Census or 1941................then we go to the next release which is in 2052.................I'll be 80 then !

Comment

Simon

Yes, the whole column is blanked off, but if my grandmother appears in a school for the deaf, then it will be fairly obvious!

It doesn't matter to me personally, I just wondered how they would tackle this. Presumably people in other types of institutions, including prisons and asylums will be supressed in the early release.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Simon

Yes, the whole column is blanked off, but if my grandmother appears in a school for the deaf, then it will be fairly obvious!

It doesn't matter to me personally, I just wondered how they would tackle this. Presumably people in other types of institutions, including prisons and asylums will be supressed in the early release.

OC
              Sorry OC...............it's early ! :D

Hmmm, that's a really good point. Especially as the 'head' of the household wrote the sheet out - this is what you see (if anyone doesn't know).

There must be institutions that are not going to be shown until 2012. I agree with your thinking.

If anyone cannot find their 'names' in 2009................I'll remember your post.

Comment

I am so impatient for it. For those of us who have lines where there is no-one we can ask questions of, it might help clear up some of the gaps between 1901 and 1912 - although the addition of mothers maiden names to the indices would help too, given it's ever completed.
                Asa

Comment

I am looking forward to seeing my paternal grandparents on there & am hoping that some mystery people will be staying with rellies to help me identify them.
                  Lynn

Comment

I dont feel like its snooping unless there was something to hide. 3 of my grandparents are on the 1901 census and my grandfathers sister.

Never really knew my paternal grandparents but my maternal grandfather and his sister I had met are on 1901 so dont feel as if thats snooping.

Comment

Thanks for the link Zoe - I'm, a bit disappointed that ScotlandsPeople got the 1911 census - as an Ancestry member I'm going to have to pay out even more money to view it :(

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                        Thanks for the link Zoe - I'm, a bit disappointed that ScotlandsPeople got the 1911 census - as an Ancestry member I'm going to have to pay out even more money to view it :(
                        Surely Ancestry will 'buy' the 1911 Census from ScotlandsPeople ?

Would that not make business sense ?

Comment

Well I would hope so Simon, but that be after 2011?

I would think that ScotlandPeople would quite enjoy their monopoly with all those extra subscriptions flowing in.....

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
                            I will finally be able to see ALL my great grandparents on a census :D

3 of them were born after 1901. (1904, 1907 and 1910)

That makes me feel REALLY old.

My grandparents had already lost three youngsters (ie two of my uncles and one aunt) by 1911.

Thinking about it, only two of my great grandparents lasted long enough to make it to 1901.

My direct lines won't bring up many suprises, it will be addresses that are probably going to be the most interesting things.

It's only going across to second and third cousins that i will learn an awful lot, mostly because i won't go quite that far for certs at the moment and want to narrow down the options first, mostly marriages in two lines with lots of possibilities for wrong certs.
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                              Well I would hope so Simon, but that be after 2011?

I would think that ScotlandPeople would quite enjoy their monopoly with all those extra subscriptions flowing in.....
                              Do ScotlandPeople also have access to all the other Census records ?

Comment

Another link for perusal

The 1911 Census

xx

Maggie

Comment

Won't we actually see our ancestors handwriting as well, or am I on the wrong track.

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                                    Won't we actually see our ancestors handwriting as well, or am I on the wrong track.
                                    You WILL see their writing (if they could write ! ).

The 1911 Census sheet that I have completed by my GG Grandfather is great to read, as on the other side, he had to sign it. You also see the rules and regs to fill the thing out.

If anyone wants to see the rules and regs of the 1911 Census PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy of mine. It's too big to link up on here !

Thanks

Simon

Comment

I'm relying on the 1911 to give me the names of my nan's 8 other siblings and confirm the name of the one in 1901 where I can't make out the hand.

I can never remember if this is correct or not - but does the 1911 census give details of number of children born and number still living for the mothers?
                                      if it does that could iron out a few mysteries.
                                      Zoe in London

Comment

None of my Grandparents were born until the 1920's so I have no hope of seeing them on the census. :D

It will help me to clear up a few things in OH's family tree but apart from that I'm not as excited as I was about the 1901
                                        With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

AHA!! This is the bit I mean............

Zoe in London

Comment

Working...
                                          X