Irish research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish research

Has anyone done any Irish research and if so is it easy. Part of the tree which i have been asked to do has people who are Irish and i have been asked if i could do that side, i just laughed and said i don't know will ask my friends what they think lol. So then friends what do you think!!
    Jen

Be brave and get some Whiskey in. I know there is a lady called Janet that is very knowledgeable and have a look in the wiki. Even though I know where mine come from I cannot go any further back than 1865.
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

OH dear doesn't sound like it will be easy maybe i will say something like i will have a look but won't promise anything lol then i can't lead her to believe she will get a nice tree!!
      Jen

Comment

There is some info on the LDS site but the Catholic Church generally hasn't allowed the Mormons to publish their info and I think Zoe - samesizedfeet mentioned for one county you have to write to the Bishop to even view the material in the Irish National Archives.
        Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

Oh christ sounds like it could be a really indepth to just get a couple of names. I suppose though if she really wanted it doing then she would pay so i am not out of pocket so i can't say no, plus it will be nice for me to learn just depends how hard though will have to wait until i get some names.
          Jen

Comment

Depends...it is different from county to county. Start with the IGI...my grandfather's generation was there and gave me a great boost. Then you can post your names on various places, like Rootsweb...I met a second cousin there who had details of all the siblings who went to America.
            The 1901 census and 1911 census will soon be available. Join Irish mailing lists for the counties of interest (through Rootsweb). Google...there is some stuff online. Read the wiki and talk to Janet.

Finally, lots of luck, 'cos you are going to need it..

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Beverley. I have to do the Scotish side yet to even get the names for the Irish side which i am going to put a post up for in a minute this family have confused me already let alone doing the Irish side!!
              Jen

Comment

Scottish research is great...although Scotlands People can be a bit expensive, you usually get a heap of info for your money. I have Scots who wandered back and forward from Glasgow to Donegal and have found it relatively easy.

Beverley

Comment

Irish research is all very dependent on how much information you get about the family from their time here e.g. birthplace, parents names etc

More and more Irish stuff is coming online via the Irish Family History Federation but it's being done one county at a time and as none of the counties I need have been added yet I can't really comment on how useful it is.

Online Irish ancestral Birth, Death and Marriage records for Ireland. Irish Genealogy research center - Irish Family History Foundation

I've got quite far with my Irish side but only because I've made a few trips to Dublin to do it.

Irish BMD indexes (which didn't start until 1864 - slightly earlier for Protestant marriages) are available to search in Dublin or I think you can get them on MicroFilm at via your Local LDS.
                  I've never ordered remotely i.e. by post so someone else may advise better on this also.

pre-1864 you have to go to the parish records. The National Library or Ireland holds the Roman Catholic Parish up to about 1880 registers on microfilm, so there is a good crossover with the GRO. Most of these are open access so you can just go in and order them but some are restricted (Diocese of Kerry, Cloyne and Cashel I think) and you have to get written permission from the Diocese to view them.
                  It's also worth noting that the Diocese aren't necessarily the same as the County boundaries.
                  This page on NLI has links to pdfs for each Diocese to find out where your parish was: Parish Register

Some parish records are available on the IGI - but it's the tiniest fraction of them. for example, for my main name of research, which is Dormer from Carlow and Kilkenny I have about 200 people which is about 500 records for baptism, marriages an deaths pre1880. The IGI has 21 of them. And a very random 21 as well there seems to be no pattern to the year or type of record on there.

Protestant parish records are held by the National Archives - I've never used them so again can't help.

The 1911 and 1901 census are being put online gradually - so far only 1911 for Dublin is available. more will be added but the timescale seems to have gone out of the window so it's impossible to say when.

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

That's all I can think of at the minute. I'll come back if anything else occurs to me.

Basically it's a struggle to research from here the records over there.

Someone else might be able to advise if the LDS hold anything in addition to the Irish GRO indexes.

Zoe
                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

p.s. I'm not trying to put you off by the way. My Irish research is my favourite part of the tree as you really need to get your teeth into it in order to find stuff which makes it all the more worthwhile when you get a success.

I just wish my roots lay somewhere other than a small mining parish where the only other big family was called Brennan and they all married my lot.
                    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Thankyou Zoe and everyone i think i will give her this one back and tell her to have a nice holiday lol.
                      Jen

Comment

Jennie,

Zoe seems to have put it it all in a nutshell for you. Will just say that for Kerry and Cloyne all you need is written permission from the Bishops of those Diocese to search records at Dublin Library BUT for Cashel and Emly Diocese, which embraces all of County Tipperary as well as parts of County Limerick, is a total "No Go" area for everybody! In other words for these areas, you will have to pay the Tipperary Heritage Society a minimum of £30 to £300 to research info for you! The only way around this one is to go to Ireland and stay in a B&B and go round all the parishes cap in hand and a donation to each one.

Irish Tracing will depend very much on the knowledge you already have. If you have just a name and Ireland then you must do some more work to get them into a county at least, before you can even consider tracing Irish ancestors.

I do have Irish cousins who expect their English cousin to do all the work! But still, I do have stories that I can follow up. I have traced family in Tipperary but I had an idea where they were from, so I did spend some time in a B&B where I was introduced to the priest of the parish and I found a lot of my ancestors in this one place back to 1798, but I am lucky in having some knowledge to start with. However, I have come to a grinding halt on one side as a marriage of about 1826 and two sibling C's about 1833 and 1831 took place in another parish and I am not long back from Ireland having been around another 6 parishes, given donations to each parish and found nothing! Very disheartening.

I would say that Irish Tracing is best done in Ireland but there are a surprising amount of records in the UK if you know what you want.

Remember Ireland was part of the UK until 1922 and they did not leave the
                        Commonwealth until 1949 so things like:

Army records are at Kew
                        Navy Records are at Kew
                        Royal Irish Constabulary Records are at Kew
                        Seditious Records can be looked at through the House of Lords Library
                        Irish Newspapers can be looked at in Colindale Newspaper Library, though for how much longer is now debateable!
                        The Guardian is now online and searchable and there was/is a big Irish following in Manchester so the Manchester Guardian of the late 1800's has much material of an Irish nature in there.

You can pull in from any LDS Centre those records for post 1864 but as Zoe has already said pre 1864 is Parish Records excepting a few Protestant Marriages from 1845.

It is back to you Jennie. Just how much do you know about these Irish relatives already?

Also remember that Ireland was a very open Catholic Country and fiercely hung on to their Catholic traditions, but because Catholicism was an "outlawed" religion until the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829 many Irish records did not start until the 1820's. There was some leniency in the late 1700's, so a very few records go back to approx 1740 but it will be very difficult to get back that far in Irish FH.

Protestant records do go back to the 1600's but as most of these were in Dublin NA at the time of the Forecourts Fire of 1922 then many of these were destoyed. Those that have survived are in the Dublin National Archives. The Catholic records survived because they were never in Dublin but were and still are with the Catholic Churches all over Ireland with microfilm copies in Dublin National Library.

My own interests are Cork County/Offaly and Tipperary and I belong to Cork and Tipperary Genealogical Societies which have been very helpful but mainly for the general history rather than the actual records I get

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 04-01-08, 18:26.

Comment

Hi Janet. This is for a friends mum. I don't know anything as yet about them but have just been asked if i could do this part of the tree. I think i am going to have to see how much information she can give me and if it's not much then appologise and run away from it. I have printed out the advice you have all given so that if i do have to run she can see that it's not as easy as researching in England. thankyou very much, i didn't think doing Irish people would be easy.
                          Jen

Comment

Tracing the Irish is difficult..but it can be done even with a little knowledge..as long as you know where a relative came from.

I obviously knew that my Mum and her sisters were born in Dublin City and I knew the names of my grandparents .... and nothing else!

Mum and her sisters had passed away long before I started my research. except for her youngest sister who is in a home suffering from dementia.

Knowing that Mum's eldest sister was born in Dublin in 1914 I sent of an aplication form for the marriage certificate of my Grandparents to the Dublin records office and 3 months...yes 3 months later it came back! This was 3 1/2 years ago...they are much quicker now. Luckily it had my Grandmother age on it..she was 19. and Grandpop was the dreaded 'of Full Age'. They were both living in Dublin City.

I then sent off for my Grandparents' birth certificates as at least I knew who their fathers' were. Another 3 months wait and their birth certificates came back.

We're cooking on gas now! Have both sets of Gt Grandparents names. WOW! I though..this is getting good.

I then found 2 of my Gran's siblings on the IGI records...they were 20 and 15 year older than her! Being of the Catholic faith I just knew there had to be more..but who and where were they. These 2 siblings were born in Co Dublin not Dublin City. So I was at a standstill now. Oh deary me I thought...or words to that effect! I was really stumped.

18 months ago I was talking to my cousin (whos mother is my mum's youngest sister in a home suffering with dementia) and I was telling her I was trying to trace our Irish side of the family. Luckily she just happened to have her Mum's address book with her. Well Susan, my cousin said that there were some relatives of her mum's in the address book..but she didn't how they were related. One lived in the USA and the others were all over here in England..with phone numbers. My phone biill went up quite a bit then!

So I had found 4 descendants of one other sister of my Grans.

I also wrote to the relative in the USA. She turned out to be the daughter of one of my Mum's cousins...Oonagh, bless her. She sent me photo copies of all her family's BDM's and a Baptism certificate of her Gran, Martha Brady..another sister of my Gran. PLUS the death certificates of my Gt and GT Grandfather Brady. She also told me that our Gran's mother had 20 children, but not all survived. I was a bit unsure about that..you know how family tales get exagerated.

Well blow me if the 1911 Dublin City census showed that they had 18 born alive and only 8 living at that time.

Back in the early summer of 2007 I splashed out and hired a researcher in Dublin to check out the Rathmines Parish records for me as Martha was married there and also St Kevins in Dubln City where Martha was Baptised .

Bingo! He found my Gt Grandfather's marriage and that of 3 other of his siblings plus the baptism of another sister of my Gran's in Rathmines.

St Kevins Parish register revealed my Gran's Baptism plus that of 5 others!

So I now know for sure that my Gran and 2 other sisters survived, married and have descendants. One brother was still alive in 1911, at home, aged 21 and single.

My Irish grandfather's family was revealed to me by another of Mum's cousin's daughters in the USA who I found on Ancestry.com It took a bit of convincing of who I was but I was able to tell her her Mum and Dad's name and old address as Mum used to write to them when she was alive. We have a Pollard Cousins website and found a few more descendants in Ireland, Australia, Wales and London. Loads of photo's swapped between us all and a cousin of mine who lives in Oz went and met our second cousin in Oz back last year!

A very long slow process...but we are getting there!

I hope this gives some encouragement to others tracing their Irish lineage.
                            teresa

Comment

I do like a good news story, Teresa ....it is encouraging that you have found out as much as you have.

My fact finding has come in fits and starts, too...handicapped by the fact that my dad wouldn't really talk about his family (yes, I was fascinated by the Irish connection, even as a child and used to ask heaps of questions), my mother hated her m-i-l and there was a whole batch of cousins of my father's living in the same city, of whom I had no knowledge apart from some names, nicknames and blurry photos in an album.

Serendipity has played a very big part in what I have discovered and I now know quite a lot more than I did when I started......but there a great dollops of luck still required.

Beverley

Comment

Glad you enjoyed my story! It's been a hard slog and very time consuming..but it has paid off...to a degree.

Still got lots of things to find out about my Grans siblings. Like, who are the other 6 missing children, which ones died and who were the other 4 that were still living on the 1911 Dublin City census as I only know of 4 of the 8!

The Baptism and Marriage Parish records revealed other people that could be relatives with the same surnames that are also connected with my Brady family..could be aunts, uncles, sisters or sister-in-laws. So I won't rest until I can find out more.

Talk about never ending story!
                                teresa

Comment

Some useful records are on the BVRI - you could ask someone for a look up on it. That's where my gt-gt-grandparents' marriage appeared which was brilliant (Church of Ireland 1848).

Subscribers to rootsweb mailing lists have been very helpful to me. Several years ago, I posted on the list for Galway about my family; on that occasion, there was little response. However, about four years later, I received an email from someone who, whilst searching microfilm at an LDS Centre, had noticed the birth registration of my great-great-uncle
                                  Joy

Comment

It is good to see that some of us have good results from Irish Tracing, however I would like to flag up a few possible pitfalls.

It really is ESSENTIAL to have more than Edward O'Neill Ireland if you have any hope of tracing.

The BVRI and IGI accounts for about 20% only of all Irish Records. This is mainly because Ireland was always a mainly Catholic country with about 80% Catholic and the Bishops refused permission for most Catholic records to be filmed by the LDS. Those that are on the IGI are mainly submitted and not extracted from church records. Out of about 300 of my own Tipperary and Cork ancestors only 4 are on the IGI and all those 4 have been submitted with incorrect information.

I, along with many others have been looking forward eagerly to the arrival of the Irish 1911 and 1901 Census online and free. However this months Ancestors magazine has just given me food for thought on this one.The following information has been taken direct from February 2008 Ancestors Magazine:

"At long last the news that eveyone woith Irish ancestorshas been waiting for: The National Archives of Ireland has started making the 1911 Census available online at:
                                    National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911 and its entirely free of charge. Currently only Dublin is covered, but the other counties will be added in the next few months, followed by the 1901 Census. The Census can be searched by name,age,gender,townland or street, and district electoral division(DED). The DED can also be browsed. UNFORTUNATELY it is NOT POSSIBLE to SEARCH by BIRTHPLACE, and the BIRTHPLACE is NOT LISTED in the initial search results. This is NOT a problem when the site has only Dublin records, but once all the counties are available, searching for a COMMON NAME may be quite rime consuming.

In this census there is not just a single page for each household but four."

If you have Dublin ancestors you may also want to look at the 1862 Dublin Street Directory recently put online by Library Ireland at Dublin Street Directory, 1862

The implications will be huge if you will not be able to access by birthplace as trying to find Michael Sullivan without knowing which one you will be interested in will throw up thousands. The jury will have to wait and see what happens when the next lot come out.

Janet

Comment

Oh, that reminds me of the census search on Scotland's People, which didn't (still doesn't?) allow birthplace search. The difference being, of course, that you have to pay on Scotland's People. There are quite a few of my rellies who I never found on the Scottish censuses until ancestry's index became available - it does let you search by birthplace (though of course they may be mistranscribed). If your family never moved from where they were born, like so many families, then it will be fine, but if they did move, not so easy!
                                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Unfortunately many of my lines just have the name and Ireland and born pre registration!!!!!!!!!!!!

A more recent one I have her name, no birth or marriage certificate only a death certificate with age considerably different to 1901 census age!!!! Only her childs birth certificate gives her maiden name!!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Working...
                                        X