Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Irish research

Irish research

Has anyone done any Irish research and if so is it easy. Part of the tree which i have been asked to do has people who are Irish and i have been asked if i could do that side, i just laughed and said i don't know will ask my friends what they think lol. So then friends what do you think!!
    Jen

Be brave and get some Whiskey in. I know there is a lady called Janet that is very knowledgeable and have a look in the wiki. Even though I know where mine come from I cannot go any further back than 1865.
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

OH dear doesn't sound like it will be easy maybe i will say something like i will have a look but won't promise anything lol then i can't lead her to believe she will get a nice tree!!
    Jen

There is some info on the LDS site but the Catholic Church generally hasn't allowed the Mormons to publish their info and I think Zoe - samesizedfeet mentioned for one county you have to write to the Bishop to even view the material in the Irish National Archives.
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Oh christ sounds like it could be a really indepth to just get a couple of names. I suppose though if she really wanted it doing then she would pay so i am not out of pocket so i can't say no, plus it will be nice for me to learn just depends how hard though will have to wait until i get some names.
    Jen

Depends...it is different from county to county. Start with the IGI...my grandfather's generation was there and gave me a great boost. Then you can post your names on various places, like Rootsweb...I met a second cousin there who had details of all the siblings who went to America.
    The 1901 census and 1911 census will soon be available. Join Irish mailing lists for the counties of interest (through Rootsweb). Google...there is some stuff online. Read the wiki and talk to Janet.

Finally, lots of luck, 'cos you are going to need it..

Beverley

Thanks Beverley. I have to do the Scotish side yet to even get the names for the Irish side which i am going to put a post up for in a minute this family have confused me already let alone doing the Irish side!!
    Jen

Scottish research is great...although Scotlands People can be a bit expensive, you usually get a heap of info for your money. I have Scots who wandered back and forward from Glasgow to Donegal and have found it relatively easy.

Beverley

Irish research is all very dependent on how much information you get about the family from their time here e.g. birthplace, parents names etc

More and more Irish stuff is coming online via the Irish Family History Federation but it's being done one county at a time and as none of the counties I need have been added yet I can't really comment on how useful it is.

https://brsgenealogy.com/ifhf

I've got quite far with my Irish side but only because I've made a few trips to Dublin to do it.

Irish BMD indexes (which didn't start until 1864 - slightly earlier for Protestant marriages) are available to search in Dublin or I think you can get them on MicroFilm at via your Local LDS.
    I've never ordered remotely i.e. by post so someone else may advise better on this also.

pre-1864 you have to go to the parish records. The National Library or Ireland holds the Roman Catholic Parish up to about 1880 registers on microfilm, so there is a good crossover with the GRO. Most of these are open access so you can just go in and order them but some are restricted (Diocese of Kerry, Cloyne and Cashel I think) and you have to get written permission from the Diocese to view them.
    It's also worth noting that the Diocese aren't necessarily the same as the County boundaries.
    This page on NLI has links to pdfs for each Diocese to find out where your parish was: Parish Register

Some parish records are available on the IGI - but it's the tiniest fraction of them. for example, for my main name of research, which is Dormer from Carlow and Kilkenny I have about 200 people which is about 500 records for baptism, marriages an deaths pre1880. The IGI has 21 of them. And a very random 21 as well there seems to be no pattern to the year or type of record on there.

Protestant parish records are held by the National Archives - I've never used them so again can't help.

The 1911 and 1901 census are being put online gradually - so far only 1911 for Dublin is available. more will be added but the timescale seems to have gone out of the window so it's impossible to say when.

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

That's all I can think of at the minute. I'll come back if anything else occurs to me.

Basically it's a struggle to research from here the records over there.

Someone else might be able to advise if the LDS hold anything in addition to the Irish GRO indexes.

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

p.s. I'm not trying to put you off by the way. My Irish research is my favourite part of the tree as you really need to get your teeth into it in order to find stuff which makes it all the more worthwhile when you get a success.

I just wish my roots lay somewhere other than a small mining parish where the only other big family was called Brennan and they all married my lot.
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will