Union Workhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Workhouse

Under what circumstances would a childless married woman end up in the Union Workhouse while her husband was still working as a silk weaver?
    Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Was he working near by ie did he go away for work and not send her any money home? Did they separate? Was she ill and he was too poor to look after her? Had she fallen out with her family if he was a rogue?
    Click here to order your BMD certificates for England and Wales for only £9.25 General Register Office

Do you have camera? Click here to see if you can help Places of Worship

Jacob Sudders born in Prussia c.1775 married Alice Pidgeon in 1800 in Gorelston. Do you know where Jacob was born?

Comment

To be honest I don't know, but I found this link on the Wiki, all about the workhouse

www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site
      Vikki -
      Researching Titchmarsh and Tushingham

Comment

They were married and living together for 22 years and he was still in the district. It seems very sad - she died 2 years after the 1891 census and he went on until 1898. I haven't checked, but it looks like he was living a few doors from relatives in 1891.

Comment

Was she ill?

Workhouses had the only hospital for the poor sometimes in those days.

Comment

She is listed as a Pauper Inmate Margaret - Class: RG12; Piece: 2447; Folio 174; Page 3 - Matilda Kelly

Comment

Sounds as though either she was unable to work and husband unwilling/unable to support her.

The workhouse records, if they survive, may furnish further information. Her death cert might explain it if she had a long-term illness.

Things must have been bad though - and of course she had no children who could have looked after her.

I've found a gt gt gt grandmother who died in the workhouse after being widowed. Haven't got her death cert yet, but I hope she only went there to die and wasn't living there in loneliness for years, as she had several children.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Odd, because if she had a readily-available husband, he would have been expected to pay something towards her keep in the workhouse, and she would not have been described as a pauper.

I suspect long term illness.

OC

Comment

One of mine died in workhouse despite having children and wife nearby- died of "disease of the Brain"- I expect senile and not easy to care for, still very sad.

Comment

I'd definitely check to see if you can get those workhouse records - one of my rellies died in the workhouse while his wife and several children (all adults) were living nearby. The workhouse records imply some sort of dementia and give me lots of other useful info.
                    CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Thanks all. I've ordered the death cert and will take it from there ....

Comment

Mark

Be sure and let us know what it says!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
                        X