IGI submitted records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI submitted records

Just having a little moan. Isn't it frustrating when you find a submitted entry on the IGI which has all the right sort of details (rather than Mr Bloggs married Mrs Bloggs somewhere or other), and there are no submitter's details:( Someone out there is descended from one of 'mine' by the looks of it, but I can't get in touch with them:(
    Rose

Rosie

If it's any comfort, no, they don't necessarily know your family.

My Holdens are a tangled lot, took me YEARS to work them out and still not sure I have. But someone has submitted a lot of the same information I have found, to the IGI.

I think this reflects an attempt to sort out all the Holdens in one parish, and also, because the submitter cannot identify for certain, their own Holdens, have submitted them all in the hope that theirs are included! This is for their religious purposes, remember, not classic genealogy.

OC

Comment

I heard that it was a condition of the Mormon church that their members have to show an 'interest' in genealogy by submitting information. This member submitted information isn't checked.
      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Rosie, don't forget it could be info that was submitted a long time ago, and the submitter might not even be alive any more.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Members of the Mormon Faith are required to find and name the most recent four generations of ancestors, in order that these ancestors be posthumously baptised into the Mormon faith, so that all can be reunited in heaven.

Some members rise to this challenge with more enthusiasm than others - we all know how difficult genealogy can be, even when you are interested in it.

I am told that if a member cannot easily identify their ancestors, then they should submit same names from same area, as this will probably pick up indirect ancestors and may include direct ancestors, even though the submitter doesn't know that.

Members are also encouraged to submit as much as they are willing to transcribe, when they are able to look at original registers, for the sake of other Mormon members around the world.

And of course, as Kate says, some of these submissions were made anything up to a hundred years ago...

OC

Comment

Thanks for your words of comfort *sigh*;)
            Rose

Comment

Today I've just found someone has submited my OH's g g grandmother's birth but could easily be baptism as he mentions a Church. He has the same surname as OH's g g grandfather. He lives in Australia, there is an address fo snail mail but not e-mail. I've been wondering if there's any point writing to him.
              Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Have you looked and asked on the Australian surname forum Australian Surname List
                I found someone via the IGI and only had an address, so I posted on the above forum and asked if anyone knew the family I was researching and also the person who had listed the information. It turned out that someone living in Australia also had tried to contact the same researcher, only to be told they were no longer interested in family tree and wouldnt help!! However other people researched for me and I have now a certificate for my late great aunt who I never knew, who went to Australia as a nanny only to be dumped at the quayside on arrival!!
                Researching - Minters (Ash - Kent line), Meads (Essex/London), Hornsby (Essex), Hatherall (Glos), Hall (London & Glos), Crook (Glos), Vince (London/Essex)

Comment

No Textmum I've not looked yet but will. I did look to see how many people this person had submitted to the IGI with the same surname as OH's g g grandfather and he seems to have a great amount from all over the UK. He only had g g grandmother with her surname.
                  I might get a letter written to him just to see if I can make contact and sort out if there is a connection. I've just looked on our Australian road atlas and he lives just out of Melbourne so if we get over there again maybe we can meet him !
                  Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Daphne, have you tried the White Pages Australia, to see if they are listed at the same address, before you write. Ofcouse if they have a silent number it won`t be there.

Sylvia
                    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
                    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
                    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Sylvia, yes I thought of that and he's not listed and no other's with that surname listed either. I tried all the States but no luck so maybe he's ex directory or just not around anymore.
                      Daphne
                      Daphne

Comment

My Aunt did find a snailmail address for someone in America who had submitted details of our ancestors. He replied to her letter and was indeed connected to our family. Interestingly he was happy to accept some (fairly small) changes in details for our part of the tree and they had a few exchanges of letters. I have also had contact on GR from his niece, which explained how some of our common ancestors actually married Mormons and went to Utah, including a newpaper cutting! (This confirmed a family story on this side of the Atlantic)

HOWEVER the original submissions to the IGI remain unchanged - I don't think there is a way to change them. OC will correct me on that maybe?

Still, if you do manage to find the submitter's address you can't lose anything by attempting contact. Sadly, like Rosie, I mostly can't find any details of the submitters. :(

Anne

Comment

Rose

This forum is brilliant for helping people with their queries, and you know if you want to have a moan you can always find sympathetic readers.

I got v. excited when I found a distant rellie of husband's on the IGI, till I found that she'd married George IV (which is a blatant fiction - she didn't even have the same first name as either of George's wives!!!)

So I couldn't therefore accept the other information about her which might have been true. Very irksome!
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

No, the IGI will not change anything once it has been submitted. But you can always add an entry with the correct information and then it is up to any researcher to decide which version is correct!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                              Rose

This forum is brilliant for helping people with their queries, and you know if you want to have a moan you can always find sympathetic readers.
                              Yes Nell, there is always someone to share our joy or who has a shoulder to cry on
                              Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X