one named study - advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one named study - advice please.

My name of interest is Brewerton which is relatively unusual.
    A few years ago I decided to collect the names for a small study and contacted people on GR who had this name in their tree.
    Some were very generous and sent me their tree. The info that I gained I have put into areas and crossfiled to name of person submitting.
    However I am a useless collater of info and could do better.

I have not looked at it for a year but have decided to have another go.
    Trying a different approach I have gone into the LDS site and noted all births/ christenings between the 15 and end of the 16th C.
    I have done my best to get rid of the repeats and born abouts and with the help of computer literate daughter have put the info on excel which is great since I can break it into place, date of birth etc.
    Obviously this is not statically reliable but gives some sort of indication regarding where the name started.
    I plan to do the same for the 17th C.

I would be very interested to see how others have gathered info for their study and how they collate it.

many thanks
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Jeanie

I have (or should say, HAD) a one name study going for my Holdens.

What I did was create a database of my own. Every incidence of the name Holden had an individual "sheet" (think card index).

I did it this way because a lot of the early stuff had no reliable dates - an example is the will of Gilbert Holden in 1540 - "and to my son George and my grandson John" - I could not put reliable birth dates on these two people, so I have a column for "alive in year xxxx".

It is amazing how often these individually useless bits of information eventually link up. My Holdens are heavily represented on the A2A site and I entered every single document. and found many links.

For later stuff, I entered census details, bmds from the IGI (extracted ONLY) and so on.

Although a database can be used as a spread sheet, that didn't work for me because I had far too many headed columns. But I just used "Form View" to add or link info - very simple and unsophisticated, but it worked for me.

One day I will get around to recreating it and this time I will save it to disk!

OC

Comment

Thanks for reply OC
      When you say that you used form view to add or link, was this with excel?
      I have a thought of trying to put the info (trees and other stray stuff) that I have on paper onto the comp. but not sure how to go about it. And as no typist, will take years!!
      It was easy to put the LDS stuff since it is not linked apart from place of birth.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Don't forget that, with software like Excel, you can copy & paste info which repeats (e.g. surnames). In fact modern versions of Excel are likely to offer you any repeat info if it's in a column with no empty intervening rows. That cuts down on the amount of typing.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, it was Excel database, and as Christine says, it has (or had) the excellent facility of popping up repeated text, which cut down on the boring typing bits.

Using the database form, I found it was easy to add a few new people, because I could then sort into alphabetical order easily. It does produce a spreadsheet automatically, but as I said, I find spreadsheets difficult if they are more than a few columns wide.

The reason I had so many columns was so that I could sort the information easily - say I wanted to know every Holden who appeared in Manchester at any point, I could sort the database to reflect that without any problem.

I am sure there is a far more sophisticated way of doing it!

OC

Comment

Thanks for advice, both of you.
            Will get daughter to look at your suggestions and get started on it.
            Searching for:

Comment

You can alter the width of Excel columns if any of the info doesn't have many characters - or widen the column of the info is long, or "wrap text" (so it scrolls inside the cell) or "shrink to fit".

You can also "freeze panes" if you want, say, the top two rows and first three columns to show, whatever else you're looking at. That makes the rest of the screen scrollable, but the top and the left hand side stay fixed.

If you have more specific queries, post up your needs and I'll see if I can help. Excel Help isn't bad, either.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have a PAF for my family tree and one for my husband's.

In addition I have two other PAFs, one for Smoothy surname for all the Smoothys who are around the same area as my lot, who are probably related but for whom I haven't yet found the connection, in which I put all the Smoothy/eys I found on censuses 1841-1901, backed up with GRO refs though I haven't spent any money on certs (apart from one who seemed to be a connection and the cert proved he wasn't!)

The other PAF I have is for the GEGG family in Gloucestershire as they married with and were otherwise connected with my Williams/Purvey/Mealing ancestors. This was so I could see how the different Geggs in my tree were connected and to prevent my own PAF from becoming too big to manage.

Maybe the GOONS (one name study society) might have some guidelines for you?
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I forgot to say - I also have a village tree, which is not a one name study, but started off as one!

I have this on Tribal Pages, a free tree site. I love Tribal Pages. You can have different levels of privacy to suit your needs.

However, the drawback at the moment is that it is not easy to input census information other than in note form. But TP management is always willing to listen to requests and it may be that there will soon be a facility for sensible input of census.

OC

Comment

Hi Nell,
                    How do you put all your Smoothys (lovely name) who are unconnected on to paf?
                    ie you have a home person and their descendants so how do you connect the separate names.
                    I would like to collate all the 1841 Brewertons so would love to know how to do it.

Same sort of question OC
                    I too love TP and have my tree on there. How do you add disparate people on to that.

Thanks in advance
                    Searching for:

Comment

Jeanie

It is easy on TP - you just "Add a new person". They don't have to be connected to anyone else on the tree.

OC

Comment

OC, so is there a way of linking them such as everyone born in Yorkshire.
                        Or would it be better to have lots of different TP trees based on the area that they came from?
                        Searching for:

Comment

Hmmmm. not that I know of, but I have got round this by putting my own codes in!

FTM is probably more up your street as you can manipulate the information in any way you want - ask Glen, he has just discovered geographical reports!

I suggested TP as you can let people look at it (with a password) and they cannot easily negotiate the whole of the tree (if they fancied stealing it, that is) because most of the information is for "floating" people who are not necessarily linked to anyone else.

OC

Comment

Last year I took on the job of research manager for a One Name Society.

I use the program Family Historian and it will easily cope with disparate groups. I have over 100 different family groups all on the one Gedcom. From that I can take any one group to share with members of the Society who have ancestors in that group. Family Historian uses the Gedcom file as its normal storage rather than some unique file of its own.

I am about to start putting together an Access database of all the (10 large boxes) stuff we have. I have chosen Access rather than Excel because it will allow a field called 'memo' into which you can put a lot of text.

Its exciting when some family groups connect up but unfortunately it is in the nature of the name to have sprung up in a number of places. We will never find 'one root'.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              Hmmmm. not that I know of, but I have got round this by putting my own codes in!

FTM is probably more up your street as you can manipulate the information in any way you want - ask Glen, he has just discovered geographical reports!

I suggested TP as you can let people look at it (with a password) and they cannot easily negotiate the whole of the tree (if they fancied stealing it, that is) because most of the information is for "floating" people who are not necessarily linked to anyone else.

OC
                              Have a look back at tribal pages OC, they have a mapping (geograpical)thingy there now too!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                I am about to start putting together an Access database of all the (10 large boxes) stuff we have. I have chosen Access rather than Excel because it will allow a field called 'memo' into which you can put a lot of text.

Anne
                                Since it is a database, it probably makes sense to use a database programme (Access), rather than one which can be used as a database (Excel). I use Excel because I'm so much more familiar with it.

What I usually do is to put the person's name into the cell, then I open a Comment on that cell and put the person's name in as if they had made the comment. I set the comments to be printed at the end of the sheet, so the name comes up as the heading for the associated info (DoB, bap, censuses, M, other career, DoD, bur, Will, etc) the info. I stretch/shrink the Comment-box to fit the info on screen. I have a tab for each family, and use the graphic borders to surround partners: solid-line for a marriage, broken line for non-marriage but sharing parentage; a bold line if I have the cert (or copy Register entry). If I have the birth cert (or equivalent), I make the name bold; if I have the death cert (or equivalent) I format the name-text as underlined. I use the graphic curly brackets to link the siblings to the parents. I put the source-info into [square brackets] alongside the info itself.

When I got imaginative (i.e. after someone mentioned the idea in a slightly different context!) I started using hyperlinks so I can jump from one tab to another: from the person in their own family to their name appearing as husband/wife (or partner) in the partner's family. That makes it quicker to make sure that I have the same Comment-info on all instances of a particular name. When I did a tree for someone else, I put links down the side of the sheet so that they would jump to relevant images of the censuses.

Christine

Comment

This all sounds scarily technical.
                                  I will have to copy all these suggestions so that my daughter can have a look.

Anne :If you were just starting, would you still use Family Historian or just use the data base.
                                  As a complete comp novice, this was my first ever excel, which would you suggest is the easiest to impute.
                                  I will be putting random names that I have received, trees, info from the LDS and census info.
                                  Many thanks
                                  Searching for:

Comment

If you decide to go with Excel (and I am not assuming that's the best for you), I could send you a sample tree if you PM me with an external e-address. Then you can see what I mean in action.

Christine

Comment

I am just venturing out into Access. I agree it does look a bit scary but I think it is going to do the job I want. It will take some work before I get used to it though.

I would definately use Family Historian for creating family relationships between people. It provides an 'at a glance' tree diagram so I can see if the group is a large one or (in a couple of cases) just one couple!

Here's a handy tip I worked out for myself. In any one-name list there will be hundreds (or thousands) of people with the same surname. Searching and sorting them out becomes much easier if you search by the surname of the spouse - there's usually only one of them!

Anne

Comment

That is a good tip Ann. Many thanks.
                                        Will have to look into Family Historian.

Have sent Christine my e-mail add.
                                        Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                                        X