PAF and ancestry tree info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mary,
    Is there any way of making a home page on PAF.
    A sort of covering letter so I can explain the one named study?
    I have tried various tabs etc but cant find one.
    There is something called making a web page, is this relevant?
    We are off to Manchester to the theater so I will look in later.
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

If you mean that you want an introductory page to your Report/Book or Chart, I don't think there's a specific option to do that.

Your best bet would be to type out the page you want in Word (or Wordpad if you don't have Word), then copy-paste it into the PAF report. PAF reports are in .rtf format, which is compatible with Word.

Another way to put your tree online is to sign up for Tribal Pages, which is free, and allows you to add photos. You import your tree from PAF, and the site automatically sets up the tree. The free version only allows you to add a limited number of photos, you can't export your file, and you can't print charts. If you want to do any of those, you have to get the paid version.

The Web page option allows you to put your tree online, but you'll need to have your own site first, which many e-mail providers offer free of charge. This is different from FTM, which allows gives you a web page on its own site.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, Mary.
        Will have a look at the report. Have thought about trying to get my own web page, will get husband to help me muddle through.
        Have thought about putting the one named study on tribal pages because it gives a home page. I have my own tree on there and it is great.
        At the moment I have several Brewerton trees that I want to put on PAF.
        The trouble with TP is having to identify the same names ie I must have about 20 William Brewertons. When you put their d.o.b next to their names and then download the TP Gedcom, it becomes mixed up on some sites.
        So plan to have PAF as the master copy.Its just a shame that PAF does not have a home page where I could explain about the different info that I have gathered for the study.
        Thanks again
        Jeanie
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

When you put their d.o.b next to their names and then download the TP Gedcom, it becomes mixed up on some sites.
          Just as a test, try taking it off. I think TP adds it automatically when there's more than one person of the same name.

Of course, if you do that, you'll only see the date next to the name on TP, not on other sites.

Comment

Hi Mary, I know that TP has changed a bit recently but when I joined about 3 years ago if you had 3 John Smiths you had to differentiate between them with a 1, 2 etc or as I do with their d.o.b
            This was great till GR changed its tree.
            Since I use TP as my main tree, due to all the photos on there, when I upload to GR it shows:
            Name John
            middle name Smith
            surname 1720
            So my hot matches are full of John 1820 etc!!
            I do find having the d.o.b a helpful hint but will have a look at my TP and see if it now copes with out the need to identify same named people.
            Am going to spent the afternoon trying to sort out a web page.
            Many thanks
            Jeanie
            Searching for:

Comment

I've had a tree on TP for about 2 years; I've never put the dob alongside the names of people with the same name but some of them show up like that on TP, so I assume their software does it automatically.

Comment

Working...
              X