No announcement yet.

Another family story blown to pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

funny lot arent they ??? I was also told most of my nans children had been born in workhouses but according to their birth certs none of them were.??
    Unless I am missing something !!!

Comment

My mother insists I am related to Michael Shumacher - I now know my great gran's maiden name was Huthmacher - think my Mum has got her body bits mixed up

And what about the porkies our rellies told about themselves. After years of hiding his origins my great grandfather suddenly blurts out the truth in the local paper by declaring himself the son of a soldier killed in Abysinnia (I don't think)
      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

For a couple of generations my Barker family lived in Kensington & one cousin, (a bit of a snob) insisted we were related to The Barkers of Kensington.
        She was none too happy when I told her that actually our 2xgt grandfather, William came to London to join the Lifeguards from Nottingham.:D:D
        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I was told as a child that my paternal grandmother died of TB when my father was 9 yrs old.
          Discovered last year that she was mentally ill, and kept in hospital, and died aged 90 + in the 1980's.
          If it's to be, it's up to me.
          Searching for:
          English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

Then there are the other mysteries. My Mum's mother said her mother died when she was 7 and that she didn't remember her. I couldn't find a relevant death in that time. But I did find her mother died a few days after my grandmother's 11th birthday - and she died at home, so I can't understand why she said she couldn't remember her at all.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I suppose we could all write a book of all the wrong info we have been given ??? I know I could.
              It took me a while to realise to take it all with a pinch of salt.

Comment

Yes, Val, I think with every bit of information you have to simultaneously believe it is completely true and that it is totally wrong!

Comment

I think you have to believe that it might be true?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, that too!

Comment

Working...
                    X