LDS site. Are they adding more IGI's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS site. Are they adding more IGI's?

Over a year ago I found 2 birth records of my Irish Gran's siblings and low and behold...another one has just turned up! It def wasn't there a month ago and the other 2 are still there.

Mary Brady DOB 13 Mar 1873, North, Dublin, Dublin Ireland. Needless to say I will be ordering the birth certificate to see where the family were living back then.

I know that the LDS site seem to swap ther records about. 3 years ago I found loads of James Pollard birth records..pages and pages of them from Dublin Ireland and then they vanished. Not that I need them now..but rather frustrating all the same.

I don't know where, but I seem to remember reading that the LDS were going to publish all Irish Birth Civil records on their website. Is this true?
    teresa

I don't know about adding records, though I guess personal submissions are being added, but the LDS are supposed to be making all their local county records available online.

FamilySearch.org - News
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I do recall reading that they cycle the records, so they're not all online at once.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, there was a thread debate on Genes Reunited about this, but I'm not sure we ever reached a conclusion or got a definite answer.

I know I've sometimes found things later and I've assumed it was because they were in personal ancestral file or somewhere I hadn't looked, or that I'd entered a different spelling of the name!

Comment

The LDS add records virtually every day!

They have a vigorous and on-going programme of transcription of church records, and if you visit any LDS Family History centre, you will spot some valiant soul steadily transcribing.

(This is in addition to submitted records, of course).

And no, we never really got to the bottom of whether records are rotated or not, but I act on the presumption that they ARE rotated and repeat fruitless searches at intervals of about 3 weeks, which often picks up the missing entry.

OC

Comment

The head of my local LDS centre says that they're revamping the site - local centres are currently testing the new site.

The new system will allow duplicate entries to be cancelled (don't know who by) and anyone will be able to add comments, presumably on the lines of a postem or an Ancestry correction.

There'll also be a facility for people who submit entries to give a contact e-mail address.

She wasn't sure when the new site's due to be unveiled.

Comment

Sounds promising!
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looks like we will have to keep checking on a weekly/monthly basis then!

Thanks to their IGI, I was able to obtain a couple fo birth certificates from Dublin, Ireland which then led me on to further discoveries on my Brady family!

If only I could find something more on my Gt GT Grandfather Daniel Brady c.1810 and his father Bartholomew...that really would be something!
                teresa

Comment

Mary

My LDS lady says that they are going to remove some duplicate entries.

This is very worrying actually, because she says (and I hope she has got it wrong) that they will be removing EXTRACTED entries, where there is a corresponding (and correct) SUBMITTED entry.

I questioned this but she is adamant. The IGI is first and foremost for the benefit of Church members, not genealogists, and it is important to church members that they have a record of THEIR family. So on that premise, a submitted entry is more important than an extracted one, when space is at a premium on the IGI.

Of course, the filmed registers will still be available to view, but that is not the same thing as the instant research you can do on line.

OC

Comment

OC - I remember that being mentioned before - possibly by you. It is, indeed, worrying but I suppose you can see where they're coming from!

It would be helpful if they were to flag such entries as being in lieu of extracted data - preferably with the film no &/or batch number.

Christine

Comment

they will be removing EXTRACTED entries, where there is a corresponding (and correct) SUBMITTED entry
                      That does seem very strange. The people who run the centres realise perfectly well that submitted entries may not be accurate.

I'll ask my lady what she knows about the situation next time I go.

Comment

She did stress that extracted entries will only be removed where there is an ACCURATE and identical submitted entry.

Will be interested to hear what your lady has to say, though!

OC

Comment

It seems a bit pointless them transcribing parish registers if they're only going to remove the entries later.

They may realise the submitted entry is accurate, but unlesss there's a corresponding extracted entry, people searching the database aren't going to know that.

Comment

Sounds a bit tangled to me.
                            I wish there was a way of weeding out the vague "Fred Jones married Mrs Jones in Bloggshire around 1770" from the more convincing "Frederick James Jones married Eliza Sheshouldbesolucky at St Andrew Underpants 17 Oct 1772" and getting rid of all the blinking duplicates of the original vague info, all of which you have to check just in case one of them has some more tangible data to go on.

Comment

Mary

Exactly! But as I said, their primary interest is not with serious genealogists.

In fact, I have an uneasy feeling that some info has already been removed, although I may be wrong.

I used to (fairly frequently) come across additional information on extracted records, say, the names of the fathers for marriages, and the ages of the bride and groom. I haven't come across any such information on the IGI for a long time. Of course, that may just mean I was lucky in one particular locality.

OC

Comment

Nell

I agree with your frsutration, but again, it has to be considered from the point of view of church members, not the genealogist.

Who is to say what is right and what is wrong? And if they removed even the daftest entries, a church member might be very offended that THEIR ancestor had been removed. Mr Jones married Mrs Jones somewhere in England at some time in the past, is a valid entry from the Mormon point of view.

My own bugbear is Helen Grimshaw marrying Helen Grimshaw. The manager at my local centre agreed that this was PROBABLY a mistake (!!!) but in order for it to be removed or altered, I would have to provide proof that it WAS a mistake, and someone would have to check it out, etc.

And I am reminded that early on in my researches, I came across some sub records which referred to the parish of DEARNE. I "knew" that this should be DARWEN, and if I could have done so, I would have altered all the entries.

As it happens, I was wrong - there IS a place called Dearne, which has nothing to do with Darwen!

OC

Comment

If they remove extracted entries and keep submitted entries how are we supposed to know which has been kept as it is correct and which has been kept because they can?
                                  Kit

Comment

Kit

Well, as with all information, you have to weigh up the likelihood of its being accurate and where possible check it against other - and preferably - original sources.

And we've all seen original registers, certificates etc which are wrong!

Comment

In OH's tree I wasted a lot of time looking for Miss LANSBURY (as extracted) who was really Miss SANSBURY!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                      X