Are There Any Great War Buffs? Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are There Any Great War Buffs? Please

My grandfather, Herbert Charles Talbot, served in the Rifle Brigade during the Great War - he was captured and held in a prison camp 1917/18. He was put to work in a SALT MINE (probably in Belgium). The information on prison camps is hard to find - particularly if you don't know the name of the camp and also if you were not an Officer. Can anyone suggest where I can look for more information - even if you know geography/mineralogy (spelling?) of Belgium this might help.

I have information on when he was "called up", his regimental number and when he was "demobbed".

Hi Peanuts,

You might be best to try on the Great War Forum site as it is full of experts!

Great War Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yep, definitely the link Kate's given you, you won't find more experts anywhere else - and all so very willing to help.

Comment

Great War Site

Thank you Kite Runner and Snowdrops in Bloom. I have been across and registered on the site mentioned.

Thanks again..... Jean

Comment

British Prisoners of War WW1

Comment

Summary of the POW camp related sites

Comment

Dont think the salt mines were in Belguim though.........

Comment

Thank you all for your input regarding my grandfather Herbert Charles Talbot and his incarceration during W.W.1.

I have registered with the site suggested by Kite Runner and "Snowdrops" and have had a positive response regarding the camps; but it would appear that there were a number of "Salt Mine Camps" and it is unlikely that there will be any listing of men at the camps.

One of the replies I received gave me a link to a report about the treatment of English and Australian P.O.W's during the hostilities and it was horrifying reading.

If anyone would like a link to the report please message me.

Jean

Comment

Working...
                X