Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-con churches EDIT: Moravian Church info wanted

Aaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Two days ago I found a ref for one of my rellies on A2A. It was in connection with a non-con church, but I've lost the ref, can't remember the name of the rellie or the denomination.

It def began with M

Not Methodist.

Any ideas??

Sounded vaguely "foreign"......

Merry

Goodness knows! Moravian?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Yep that's it. Thanks!

In Hertford or Hitchin or somewhere like that!!

Comment

merry, get your nose onto my workdesk - there is a link on there somewhere towards the end ( about reply 3000! lol) about this very thing- its something i'm working on
        Jess

Comment

Blimey....I was just going to ask if anyone knows anything about these Moravians?

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
            merry, get your nose onto my workdesk - there is a link on there somewhere towards the end ( about reply 3000! lol) about this very thing- its something i'm working on
            I'm obviously looking in the wrong place :o

Comment

Oh Tiddle !
              just have a look at this

just something I had by me!

Category:Christian denominations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Jess

Comment

I had a look there, but can't see anything that tells me their beliefs, or how they fit in with other denominations (were they a particular section of society, for instance)

I've never even heard of them before. Did they start in America? There seemed to be a lot of bits about Jamaica in the Wiki?!

Comment

Oh Merry you are in luck!

The Moravian church kept exquisite records!

One family of mine attended the Moravian church and I almost wept when I saw the register.

Beautifully scripted. Each baptism bore the name of the the mother and father - and the grandparents too! Addresses and occupations, position of child in family (third son of eight children, six still living).

What is more - if a child (or even an adult) died, the clerk went back to the baptism, drew an elaborate black cross in the margin, along with the date and cause of death.

Sadly, this particular church was only in existence for 49 years, but even so, that gave me up to five generations in some cases.

They did not perform marriages of course, but marriages were recorded as having taken place, and extra information added, such as the MOTHER's of the bride and groom, and their grandparents too.

OC

Comment

Here, try this:

Moravian Church Genealogy Links: Protestant Church Records of Colonial America

OC

Comment

Merry

Hitchin was a hotbed of non-conformity, but mainly Quakers and Methodists. I don't know of any Moravian connections - and I'm afraid all I know about Hertford is that my husband used to work there and years ago I had a gt uncle who ran one of the pubs!

Comment

Merry

From what I can remember from my own family, the Moravian church was based on belief in the gospels and was a rather narrow sect on the far edge of Protestantism.

It quickly fell from favour in this country, but flourishes in the US, I believe. I think the uptight Victorian Lancastrians had a bit of a problem with gospel singing!

OC

Comment

There is a Moravian church to this day - The Moravian Church of the British Province
                          and it was founded in Bohemia (modern Czech republic or Slovakia, don't know which) 1457. The site lists current congregations, - non in Herts, but a group in Bedford.

Comment

it looks as though the Hitchin branch is gone - there is a branch near me - in Woodford Halse - which is a village down the back of beyond, down 3 gated roads.

Ohhh.......... what is a lovefest???

Services: Sunday School 10am. Alternate weeks.
                            Worship 3.15pm.
                            Holy Communion first Sunday in the month.
                            Lovefeast alternate months, commencing March.

Update LOVEFEAST Phew!!
                            Last edited by Jessbowbag; 29-12-07, 21:01.
                            Jess

Comment

For those of you who have enjoyed Christingle services recently, this tradition began in the Moravian Church in 1747 (according to info on the Children's Society website).

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

And I suspect that a Lovefest is likely to be a meal shared in love - i.e. resembling a Communion/Eucharist, but not necessarily with consecrated bread and wine.

(Off to go and see if I'm right!)

Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

lovefest???

cuh - us Catholics never get anything that exciting.......
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

OK so my Maynards (or some Maynards?!) crop up in Methodist record, Baptist records (buy only for being chucked out for being drunk!) and a few C of E records.

Plus this one ref in the Moravian records.

But by 4xgreatgrandfather lived in a particular parish.....when and where did he marry and who to? Did he ever have any of his seven children baptised anywhere? Did he or his wife have their bodies buried in the back garden? There's no burial for either of them.....What did people do with their bodies if they didn't bury then i the churchyard?

Comment

Merry

Many noncon churches and chapels had their own burial grounds attached. This rather surprised me when I first discovered it, for some reason!

I read of one incident in the early 1800s, where a man had been buried in a Baptist burial ground. Twenty years later, his widow fell out with this church and had him disinterred and moved to the burial ground of her new chapel!

OC

Comment

But I can't find any burial grounds near where they lived (Kempston, Bedfordshire) :(:(:(:(

Comment

Working...
                                        X